yeast starters

This is a place where people can ask questions about brewing. Hopefully, someone who is more knowledgable about brewing will respond.

Moderator: Jimmy Orkin

RobDrechsler

yeast starters

Post by RobDrechsler »

Ok, I've got the whole yeast starter concept. Ok, starter is ready, sitting inside a 1 gallon jug. what techniques are there to decant the liquid off to get to the yeast?

Side question.

If you were harvesting yeast from a bottle, would you go through multiple iterations of a starter to make a viable culture?
Beer contains just a small amount of vitamins - that's why it's necessary to drink lot of it
MixnMatchBrew

Re: yeast starters

Post by MixnMatchBrew »

Chill it and let the yeast settle, pour off the liquid right before you pitch.
Just pour carefully until it starts to pick up some of the yeast. Leaving a little bit (few ounces) of the liquid will not hurt anything.

You can temper the yeast up to your worts temperature by adding a little bit of cooled wort to the yeast at a time so the yeast can warm up some.

I typically just cold pitch it into the waiting wort. Doesn't seem to shock it.

Building from bottle dregs takes a couple or three steps to get enough yeast.
Bargainfittings.com

Past President, NTHBA (2011)
[email protected]
RobDrechsler

Post by RobDrechsler »

MixnMatchBrew wrote:
Just pour carefully until it starts to pick up some of the yeast.

this is where I have the issue, as I start to pour it seems the yeast it goes back into soluion. I will try chilling longer for better settling..
Beer contains just a small amount of vitamins - that's why it's necessary to drink lot of it
MixnMatchBrew

Post by MixnMatchBrew »

I guess if you have an autosiphon you could siphon it off.
Bargainfittings.com

Past President, NTHBA (2011)
[email protected]
Jimmy Orkin

Post by Jimmy Orkin »

After the starter has completely finished, 48 hours on a stirplate, I put my starter in the refrigerator at about 40 degrees for 48 hours. After 48 hours, the yeast is a think layer on the bottom. Sometimes I have trouble getting back into solution to pitch.
Jimmy Orkin
NTHBA Competitions Coordinator 2022
NTHBA Data Guy 2022