grain questions

This is a place where people can ask questions about brewing. Hopefully, someone who is more knowledgable about brewing will respond.

Moderator: Jimmy Orkin

RobDrechsler

grain questions

Post by RobDrechsler »

what's the best way to store grain...

I don't have a grain mill.. rolling pin? on what? how do you tell if it's cracked enough?
Beer contains just a small amount of vitamins - that's why it's necessary to drink lot of it
ssage21

Re: grain questions

Post by ssage21 »

I store my grain in a 5 gallon sealed bucket from Home Depot.

As far as crushing the grain I just take it to my local home brew store and use their mill, but I always need something for the next batch, even if it’s ½ pound of crystal malt.

I guess if it's too far to go a rolling pin would work. I think BYO had an article about that this year.
Bill Lawrence

Post by Bill Lawrence »

Get yourself a Barley Crusher, those things are great and really not that expensive. I like the convience of being able to crush my grain just before I use it plus it's very easy to adjust the gap spacing depending on what you are trying to do. I usually do 5 gallon batches so I just run mine with an electric drill and it just takes a couple of minutes.It comes with a hand crank but I am way too lazy to be bothered with that, the drill works great.
Remember, brewers make wort, only yeast make beer
NanoBrew

Post by NanoBrew »

As Sage mentioned a sealed 5 gallon bucket works fine for keeping the bugs and the moisture out.

I have never heard of anyone using a rolling pin. Seems like it would be difficult to get a consistent crush from batch to batch. I had an old electric flour mill lying around that I am using. It actually has stones for the grinding surfaces, one side is stationary and the other is driven by the motor. Once I figured out how to change the gap so that I could crack it instead of pulverize it it worked pretty good. Been using it for a couple of years now. I never change the gap so I get a very consistent mash efficiency every time I brew.
When in doubt, your beer is always the fullest.
Anthony Perea
Dave Warner

Post by Dave Warner »

Has anyone tried to convert a pasta machine into a grain mill? The rollers are stainless and adjustable to six settings but are only about 6" long. Worth a try do you think, or would it take too long to crush? It's not cost effective, but I have one laying around that is rarely used for its intended purpose.

Here's an example:
http://www.akitchen.com/store/vil150sm.html
Brewboy

Post by Brewboy »

Dave, I really don't know if it would work or not. Just give it a try with a hand full of grain and see. You want the grain crushed and the husk intact. If it does that it should work.
Scott Townson
May judges be smitten with our brews and long for our nectars throughout eternity!!
ejonsson

Post by ejonsson »

I don't think the pasta machine would work as well as a regular grain mill. A pasta machine, like the example you provided, has smooth rollers for rolling the pasta. All the grain mills I've seen have a rough surface on the rollers, so they would seem to get a better crush on the grain.
Einar Jonsson
RobDrechsler

Post by RobDrechsler »

skip the rolling pin, not even close
Beer contains just a small amount of vitamins - that's why it's necessary to drink lot of it
bendavanza

Post by bendavanza »

No go for the rolling pin, unless you are just trying to crack 1/4 lb of specialty grains. The cheapest mill you will find that works reliably is a corona style mill. they can be adjusted and make a decent crush. I bought a barley crusher and do not regret it at all, the crush is way better that what I was getting at hbhq, I get better efficiency and I can adjust for grains like rye or wheat. People have converted pasta roller machines into grain mills but the rollers are so small and you would need to find a way to knurl at least one of the rollers or the grain will not feed.
bendavanza

Post by bendavanza »

Oh and if you want a really nice fluffy crush try malt conditioning:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index. ... nditioning
MixnMatchBrew

Post by MixnMatchBrew »

The converted pasta roller does work. If you want to experiment you can get them fairly cheap by using a coupon from one of the hobby stores.

The trick is to use a drill bit and roughen the rollers very aggressively. I have one made if you want it. You would have to pick it up.
Bargainfittings.com

Past President, NTHBA (2011)
[email protected]