Sam Adams Longshot comp

Questions and discussions about competitions

Moderator: Jimmy Orkin

RobDrechsler

Sam Adams Longshot comp

Post by RobDrechsler »

sam adams has a free competition...

http://www.samueladams.com/promotions/L ... fault.aspx
Beer contains just a small amount of vitamins - that's why it's necessary to drink lot of it
Bill Lawrence

Re: Sam Adams Longshot comp

Post by Bill Lawrence »

Yeah, they do this every year, it is essentially a big R&D thing for them. Of course there is nothing wrong with that but it's very long odds (hence the name). It kind of reminds me of the software business, what you are trying to do is get your customers to come up with the the next good ideas for products to sell. Unless something has changed, I don't believe you get any feedback so personally I would rather pay a few bucks to get a score sheet or two back after the contest was over.

I think Samual Adams makes some pretty good suds though although some of their offerings leave me a bit cold. I like their flagship lager and if you ever see any of their Double Bock on sale you really should snag some because it's really good. The company also has done a lot over the years to promote home brewing so they should get credit for that also. Some day I really would really like to try and clone their Boston Lager although I have never really figured out what style that beer would fit into. I think a lot of beer geeks knock them because they have gotten so big but I think a lot of that is just us being a bunch of snobs. Hell, I personally know this one clown in the club who insists on drinking beer out of a brandy snifter with his initials on it, God, talk about pretentious.
Remember, brewers make wort, only yeast make beer
BeerKD

Post by BeerKD »

They do send back scoresheets for any beers that are entered.
RobDrechsler

Post by RobDrechsler »

winner's announced..

nnovative home brewers from Georgia and Illinois triumphed over more than 700 competitors to win this year’s Samuel Adams LongShot American Homebrew Contest – Category 23. Jim Koch and the Brewers of Samuel Adams beers, encouraged this year’s entrants to incorporate unusual and unique ingredients into their recipes.

Georgia resident Richard Roper created a brew he named Friar Hop Ale, and Illinois resident Rodney Kibzey submitted his Blackened Hops beer. As avid homebrewers know, the Beer Judge Certification Program (BJCP) classifies beer styles into 22 different categories depending on style and brewing process, and they reserve “Category 23” for beers whose ingredients are so unusual that they need a place all their own. This year, the brewers at Samuel Adams wanted to focus the annual competition on these innovative beers.

In addition to Richard and Rodney’s winning brews, Samuel Adams also honors Employee Homebrew Winner Caitlin DeClercq for her Honey Bee’s Lavender Wheat beer. All three winning homebrewers will have the opportunity to brew alongside the Samuel Adams Brewers in Boston. Their recipes will be bottled and available nationally in the 2011 LongShot Category 23 Variety 6-Pack.
Beer contains just a small amount of vitamins - that's why it's necessary to drink lot of it