April Club Meeting Address

Questions and discussions about competitions

Moderator: Jimmy Orkin

Brewboy

April Club Meeting Address

Post by Brewboy »

I hope you were able to make it to the club meeting at the Bavarian Grill last night. If you were not, this is what I presented to the club"

The Bluebonnet has come and gone and Wow! What a ride it was! I hope you had as great a time as I did. Once again we came out on top as the Bluebonnet Club of the Year. Congratulations to everyone who participated with your labor, you presence and with your entries. Believe it or not, next year is going to be even better!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Alamo City Cerveza Fest was held this past Saturday and we made a decent showing accumulating 22 club points. A hearty well done goes out to:

Leroy Gharis for his First Place Schwartz Beer
Melinda Buyer for her First Place Lambic
Cody Gray for his Common Cider
I managed a couple of first place finishes in Double IPA and Fruit Beer and scrounged a few more points here and there.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The next COC deadline is next Monday the 19th of April. Please have your Extract Beers to Homebrew headquarters or the Wine Makers Toy Store NLT the close of business on Monday. We’ll be judging this COC the very next day on Tuesday. We’ll need at least 3 judges to step up and help us with this event. If you can judge, please let me know and be at HBHQ at 6:00 PM on the 20th. The winner will need to have their National entry shipped to Buffalo, NY no later than the 1st of May.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Big Batch Brew Bash is fast approaching. Do you have an English Barleywine? If so please enter it. So far I only know of Leroy and Myself who’ve got entries. Please let me know and I’ll make arrangements to get them to Houston by the May 8th deadline.
The next big event is the Celtic Brew-off. The deadline for entries is the 15th of May though they haven’t updated their website yet. This event is open to all styles from Celtic origins with a few non BJCP special categories as well. So please get your English, Irish, and Scottish ales and lagers ready to enter. I’ll post on the forum as soon as I find out that they’ve opened registration.
As always, it’s a busy time in the Competition arena and this is where the action is!

As usual, I’ve got an inspiring quote for you to dwell on or perhaps even scoff and mock. Still I present it with hope that we as a club can develop a winning mentality. We the North Texas Homebrewers Association brew excellent beer! But to win, we’ve got to compete!

Theodore Roosevelt once said:

“Far better it is to dare mighty things to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered with failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that know not victory or defeat!”

Are you a poor spirit? Do you live in the gray twilight?

Or are you bold enough to compete, will you dare to win!

Let’s really go after the remaining competitions this year! And May every entry will be a powerful wallop for the spirit of the club!
Scott Townson
May judges be smitten with our brews and long for our nectars throughout eternity!!