Big Batch Brew Bash

Questions and discussions about competitions

Moderator: Jimmy Orkin

kingsbrew

Big Batch Brew Bash

Post by kingsbrew »

Anyone planning to enter this year's Big Batch. If you have a good English Barleywine we could win a half-keg of St. Arnold's beer for the club if we have the most entries that advance to the 2nd round. Entry deadline is May 7th. By the way, entry is free, as in zero dollars.

If anyone else is entering I would like to team up to ship entries together, or maybe drive them down on Sat. May 8th and see St. Arnolds' new brewhouse.
Leroy
Brewboy

Re: Big Batch Brew Bash

Post by Brewboy »

I'm entering this event. My English Barleywine is a bit young and sweet. It'll be better with a couple more years aging hopefully turning into something like a Thomas Hardy. Still, it's all I've got so that's what I'll be entering.

Hey, I thought my American Barleywine was too young too and it placed at Bluebonnet. You just never know. I may be up for a trip down there too!
Scott Townson
May judges be smitten with our brews and long for our nectars throughout eternity!!
mtodd

Post by mtodd »

Let me know how many are planning to come down. I live in Houston and would love to go along for your visit to St Arnolds. The new brewery (newery) is great....a huge upgrade over the old brewery (oldery). :) I have a spare bedroom and a really comfy couch if you are in need of a place to crash....as long as you dont mind kids and cats. We have 1 of the first and 2 of the latter. :)

I am pretty sure that I met Leroy at the Bluebonnet....dont remember meeting Scott though.
Brewboy

Post by Brewboy »

Very cool of you to offer up lodging. We'll discuss and let you know. I'd love to take you up on it. Please shoot me an e-mail at [email protected]
Scott Townson
May judges be smitten with our brews and long for our nectars throughout eternity!!
mtodd

Post by mtodd »

Sorry I havent had a chance to email you. My offer for space to crash is still available. We can house 3 comfortably without having to resort to folks sleeping on the floor. If any of you are still planning to come down please let me know. Unfortunately I dont have anything on tap for you to sample....been out of the brewing game for a while due to the baby and all but I am planning on brewing on May 1st so I will have more than likely 10 gallons of ESB fermenting away.
Brewboy

Post by Brewboy »

Thanks a bunch for the gracious offer. Other things have come up keeping us busy during that weekend so we must decline. I really do appreciate your hospitality and in other circumstances I would gladly take you up on your offer.

We'll just be shipping our few entries down to Houston.

Cheers!
Scott Townson
ssage21

Post by ssage21 »

Is the club shipping the entries, and if so where and when do we need to have them in?
I figure if the Club gets a keg its worth parting with a few good bottles.
Brewboy

Post by Brewboy »

Please e-mail me at [email protected] if you have an english barleywine to enter. We will ship it for you but we need to make arrangements to get the entries together. They'll be shipped on Wednesday this week.
Scott Townson
ssage21

Post by ssage21 »

The results for the Big Batch Brew Bash have been posted.

Best of Show - Chris Landis (KGB)
Second Place - Mark Rogerson & Donald Sajda (KGB)
Third Place - Jimmy Paige & Jeff Reilly (Foam Rangers)

Honorable Mention - Susan Ayling (KGB)
Honorable Mention - Stuart West (Foam Rangers)

I know we didn't push this competition very much but I was wondering how many people from NTHBA entered.

I was kicking around if I wanted to submit my year old American Barley wine as English but couldn't plan on an easy drop-off and the sacrifice would probably go unrewarded.
kingsbrew

Post by kingsbrew »

I entered. May have been the only one from NTHBA. They didn't like mine. Said it was too sweet.

We'll see what the Celtic judges say.

Leroy
Leroy