UPS and FedEx reject beer shipping

Discussions about beer, life, that sort of thing

Moderator: Jimmy Orkin

kingsbrew

UPS and FedEx reject beer shipping

Post by kingsbrew »

This article was on the AHA Tech Talk. I find this very interesting. Maybe the beer bottles break easier. :-)
Leroy
Moonknight013

Re: UPS and FedEx reject beer shipping

Post by Moonknight013 »

very interesting article, now out of curiosity whats the US Postal Service's stand on this, had some friends out of state wanting me to ship them some of my brew and was curious as to what is the best way to due this, would be from texas to like colorado.
Chris Heick
kingsbrew

Post by kingsbrew »

It is "illegal" to ship beer via USPS. Although I have read of people doing it(packed well and labeled as vases), I wouldn't recommend it. Better to pack securely and label as something else. I understand UPS and FedEx are on to "yeast samples". You might be better off just labeling it as "Glass-Fragile" and be done with it.
Leroy
ejonsson

Post by ejonsson »

That's very disappointing news. Last month, I went to that Boise, ID beer store that they mentioned in the article. I've been thinking about ordering from them. Its a pretty decent place. The owner makes special arrangements to get stuff that isn't distributed in Idaho. I didn't have room in my suitcases for all that I wanted to bring back.

Sounds like a case of beer discrimination to me. Maybe there's a lawsuit in this somewhere. :twisted:
Einar Jonsson
Dogleg

Post by Dogleg »

We actually discussed this on our show, prior to this news. UPS and FedEx are still the way to go on this. The glass/fragile thing is for sure the way to go. If they point blank ask you when you bring the box or and you don't want to lie, call it chili sauce. If you haven't made a chili with that kinda sauce, you really should try it!

And this seems to be more focused on the companies, so if you can find someone to actually do your shopping and shipping, then you will likely be fine.

Total ludicrosity!