Top six BBO club entry totals

Questions and discussions about competitions

Moderator: Jimmy Orkin

kingsbrew

Top six BBO club entry totals

Post by kingsbrew »

We certainly don't lack for quantity of entries. I just hope our quality equals the quantity. Should be exciting next week.

1. NTHBA - 292
2. Cap and Hare - 161
3. Austin Zealots - 153
4. Foam Rangers - 118
5. Knights (KOBB) - 112
6. BAM - 102
Leroy
Jimmy Orkin

Re: Top six BBO club entry totals

Post by Jimmy Orkin »

Here are the 2009 numbers:

1. NTHBA - 325
2. Austin Zealots - 121
3. KOBB - 113
4. BAM - 75
5. Cap and Hare - 65
6. High Plains Draughters - 59
Jimmy Orkin
NTHBA Competitions Coordinator 2022
NTHBA Data Guy 2022
Mike Grover

Post by Mike Grover »

Wow looks like Cap & Hare and Foam Rangers are getting serious again.
24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case...coincidence? I think not. - Steven Wright
Bill Lawrence

Post by Bill Lawrence »

Actually, it looks like we will have a problem unless our "quality" goes up. My take is that our entry totals have droped 10% while the total entries in the contest have increased around 45% or so (based on 1,600 entries this year vs say 1,100 last year). There are some damn fine brewers both at the Cap and Hare as well as in the Foam Rangers so I would say that the competition has gotten stiffer. Additionally, the top six clubs accounted for roughly 69% of the entries in 2009 while they make up only around 58% this year (based on Jimmy's and Leroy's numbers). That tells me that the contest is likely drawing entries ourside our normal "trading" area, if you will, and that may mean that we are starting to get "national" attention. As such, it may turn out that the overall entry "quality" has gone up, which frankly is contrary to my experience judging last weekend.

Once Scott figures all this out (if he has not already) I would expect we are going to get "fire and brimstone" at the next meeting. Hell, he may even start up with the snake handling and small barnyard animals. As a club we better "man up" (or "woman up" as the case may be) and win some stuff or we are all going to be in big, big trouble. :D
Remember, brewers make wort, only yeast make beer
Brewboy

That's right brother Bill!

Post by Brewboy »

You said it Brother!

Like I said at the meeting: " It’s time to get a grip, gird our loins, stiffen those upper lips and dig for victory."

The number of entries may be down but the quality had better be up. We need the points the Bluebonnet brings us for the Lone Star Circuit and if we don't get them then we've got to make up for it in the other competions. Be prepared for the hard push if we fall short of last years points. I may have to make my sermons longer!

We need to win club of the year. And we'll do it if I can get you all to buy in to the mentality of a winning club!

Never forget that we are the Clergy of Zymurgy, the Priests of Yeasts, and the Joyful Congregation of Fermentation.
Scott Townson
May judges be smitten with our brews and long for our nectars throughout eternity!!
kingsbrew

Post by kingsbrew »

If I remember correctly there were about 1300 entries last year. Entries are definitely up. There was one entry with "Homebrew Headquarters" as the club. I am sure Kelly will be happy if they win.
Leroy
donniestyle

Post by donniestyle »

Yea, there is about 19% more entries this year, and our club numbers dropped almost 10% from last year. We'll be lucky if we can hold on the Club award. Note that there is one certain BAM member that entered over 40 entries. Also the renowned Foam Ranger team is back on the scene with a very large entry total. Personally, I didn't enter anything that I felt had no chance of winning, unless I genuinely wanted feedback. I sure hope I get good feedback.
Is your beer intimate, hand crafted, and artisanally made?
Bill Lawrence

Post by Bill Lawrence »

Well, I am not going to worry about it now since there is nothing we can do now to change the outcome. I did my best with my 12 measly entries and to be honest, I don't think I am capable of entering more since I can't drink the stuff fast enough. My current plan for the Bluebonnet is to show up and have some fun, I may even drink a beer or two. If I don't win anything, it won't be like it was the first time that happened so I know I will get over it. It will be interesting to see how well the organization as a whole handles so many entries. If the sheer number of entries starts having a negative effect on the experience as a whole, I would then suggest that maybe the organizers start limiting the number of entries allowed in each category.
Remember, brewers make wort, only yeast make beer
truckpoetry

Post by truckpoetry »

Hmmm - interesting to see the raw numbers play out, since I personally entered more this year than last (and in my opinion, better beers than last year, too, so that's a good thing).

I'll be curious to see the breakdown, too, by category of entries, if that's available. I am always curious which categories we could storm into and overwhelm with entries...

Time to wait and see...
Cameron Mathews
kingsbrew

Post by kingsbrew »

When they post the awards on the web site it usually includes the number of entries for the award category. Here are some numbers I remember. Imperial IPA numbers are triple last years count and Amer. IPA is down(maybe the only category that is down in numbers).
Most categories had a minimum of 3 or 4 flights.

Pilsner - 40+
Imperial IPA - 30+
Amer. IPA - 13(?)
Spice/Herb/Veg - 60-70
Leroy
ejonsson

Post by ejonsson »

I think American IPA was in the 30s. English IPA was the lowest entered category at 13. I think Belgian and French came out on top at 84. Light Hybrids was pretty high up there too with 72. Looks like a few categories will get split up next year. It's amazing how much the entries have increased just over the last 2 years. If my math is correct, we had just under 1100 entries in 2008, then 1300 last year, now 1600. What are we looking at next year if this continues?
Einar Jonsson