2010 BJCP Study Group

A place to post and BJCP Class Related information or questions

Moderator: Jimmy Orkin

ClayMahone

2010 BJCP Study Group

Post by ClayMahone »

UPDATE: NEW STUDY GROUP STARTING 4/11. SEE BELOW.

Last year there was a study group that met two weekends a month for about 10 months straight to prepare for the BJCP exam.

This post is to guage if there is interest in doing this again for 2010. We will need a BJCP certified judge to lead the group, the studying needs to start ASAP, and there will be an entry fee required ($100) in order to pay for supplies for the class.

If you are interested, please post up your name and a little bit about your brewing/tasting experience. If you are already a BJCP judge and think you could lead the group, please email me directly at [email protected].
Last edited by ClayMahone on Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
Clay Mahone
2010 NTHBA Minister of Education
Brewboy

Re: 2010 BJCP Class/Study Group

Post by Brewboy »

Wow, I must admit that I'm somewhat shocked at the lack of response to this thread. Having attended last years class I can tell you all who may be considering it that $100 is way cheap for the benefit you'll receive.

Last year we brought style examples ourselves each and every class and it cost me way more that $100 through out the course.

Even if you don't necessairly want to become a judge, you will be a 10th level beer geek by the time you finish this class.

Can you now be given blind taste tests and tell what style and subcategory of beer it is? Can you now name a classic example of every beer style in the BJCP style guide? Can you now recite the history of every beer style known to man? Can you now taste a beer and accurately describe any flaws that may be present? Can you now tell me the difference between body and mouthfeel, or the difference between good phenols and bad, or the different sensations of good alcohol and higher alcohols?.......... I can go on and on but you get the idea. This is a very informative class, by the end you will have tasted every style and know what makes it good.

I still don't have my test score but I do have my BJCP number now. Was it worth it?....You bet it was!

I encourage anyone who is somewhat new or simply has a desire to know more to step up and take this class.
Scott Townson
May judges be smitten with our brews and long for our nectars throughout eternity!!
donniestyle

Post by donniestyle »

Hey everyone. Hope you are interested in the class. I took the class in 2008, and led the class in 2009. I'm planning to participate this year also.

James Lallande has sponsored an exam in November. Scroll down to November. The exam will more than likely be at the same location in Fort Worth again. James will also administer the exam. All we have to do is get some more of our membership ready to take the exam.

I'll be taking the exam again. Depending on my score in the February exam, I will take either the written or tasting portion. For those who are not familiar, a first time exam taker has to take the whole exam. Those retaking the exam have the options of full exam, or partial (written or tasting). First time exam takers will be charged $50.00, full retakes are $35.00, and partial retakes are $15.00. For more information, see this.

Hope we get a good turnout.
Is your beer intimate, hand crafted, and artisanally made?
RyanWeary

Post by RyanWeary »

I wouldn't mind giving it a shot, but two weekends a month for almost a year is a lot to ask. The $100 isn't the issue......
“I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.” ~ Frank Sinatra
Brewboy

Post by Brewboy »

Ryan, it isn't two weekends a month but rather two 1/2 days a month. The last class chose Sunday afternoons. Now when you tie in club meetings, brewdays, quarterly partys.....yes this club can be consuming but I love it.
Scott Townson
May judges be smitten with our brews and long for our nectars throughout eternity!!
donniestyle

Post by donniestyle »

We'll get to decide how frequently we meet. The class in 2009 met about every third weekend on Sunday afternoon. We met at 12:30 and finished up around 4-6:00. What makes Sunday nice is that it rarely conflicts with other plans. We can look at the club calendar on the side and pick off weekends. I don't have a problem missing a couple football games in the fall. The class will be over in late October. The better part of the football season is afterward. If we start the class on April 4, and hold class every third Sunday, we would have 11 classes with the last on October 31. It takes 10 classes to cover all the material and styles and one class for the doctored beer tasting.
Mike Grover

Post by Mike Grover »

I would like to participate this year. I'm thinking of re-taking the exam.
24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case...coincidence? I think not. - Steven Wright
chomola

Post by chomola »

Definitely count me in - I learned alot in the last class and took the test last month - now I want to step it up another notice and get at least an 80 on the next one. I'll be glad to help with class preparations and/or hosting sessions at my house.
ejonsson

Post by ejonsson »

I would like to get in on this as well. I might be able to get some hard to find beer styles for the class next month on the Dark Lord trip.
Einar Jonsson
donniestyle

Post by donniestyle »

Are we still in the planning stages? We should try to get together soon on this. I think we should start classes ASAP.
NanoBrew

Post by NanoBrew »

I would like to participate. Last year the group met on Sundays at 12:30. I am good with Sundays but need to start later say 2 or 3PM.

Shall we just pick a date for the first meeting and work out the rest of the schedule from there? How about next Sunday (April 11th)?
When in doubt, your beer is always the fullest.
Anthony Perea
ClayMahone

Post by ClayMahone »

There seems to be enough interest, a group has officially formed and is seeking those interested in learning more about beer and becoming a BJCP judge. For any NTHBA members interested in studying for the BJCP exam and becoming a recognized beer judge, a new study group will be starting April 11th at 2pm. Location: Don's House, 15549 Buffalo Creek Dr, Frisco, TX 75035.

A $100 entry fee will be required to cover beer samples and other supplies. This will be enough to get the group started but more may be required later if the group funds run out.
Clay Mahone
2010 NTHBA Minister of Education
donniestyle

Post by donniestyle »

I think the $100 will be enough to pay for it all. We're talking about bread, water, and beer (commercial examples). We'll just have to make it last. I'm prepared to keep a detailed accounting register of the funds for everyone to see.
kingsbrew

Post by kingsbrew »

Let's discuss this a bit. I have some ideas for the class.

Edited to add: What I am thinking is the club can pay for bread, water, cups, paper towels. I will discuss with officers to get official approval.
I would consider attending but would like to see more emphasis on judging practice than drinking practice. :-)
I will plan on attending the first meeting on April 11th.
Leroy
stephenashelton

Re: 2010 BJCP Study Group

Post by stephenashelton »

I'd be interested in participating. I could potentially provide bread (for little or no cost). I make bread several times a week, it would not be much effort for me to double or triple my recipe a couple times a month. And it's pretty good bread too :)