Need help cutting top of keg to convert to brewkettle

This is a place where people can ask questions about brewing. Hopefully, someone who is more knowledgable about brewing will respond.

Moderator: Jimmy Orkin

t_tronson

Need help cutting top of keg to convert to brewkettle

Post by t_tronson »

I uses a dremel and about 10 cutting blades and only got about a quarter way around. Can anyone help me with a grinder? If I need to get blades let me know. Using the Dremel was driving me batty. Thanks.

Todd
Brewboy

Re: Need help cutting top of keg to convert to brewkettle

Post by Brewboy »

Are you using the reinforced blades? I can cut a 12" circle in the top with about 4 or 5 blades. Don't apply too much pressure and cut from the outside in not in and then across else side friction will eat up your blades.

It's slow going but be patient and it will work.

You can use a cut-off wheel in a 4" angle grinder but you will need to build a jig to guide the grinder in the circle. homebrewtalk has instructions on doing it this way. Seemed too much trouble to me. I just use the dremmel.
Scott Townson
May judges be smitten with our brews and long for our nectars throughout eternity!!
Guerra

Post by Guerra »

Todd,

I have gotten very good at cutting keg tops. I use a 4.5 inch grinder freehand, with very good results. No need for a stinking jig. The trick to cutting freehand, is to draw your cut lines as concentric circles. You cut to the first line and grind to the second.

PM me and we can disucss.

Orlando
Orlando Guerra
"You Can't Drink All Day If You Don't Start In The Morning"
donniestyle

Post by donniestyle »

Big O, I like your signature. We ought to put it under your picture. :lol:
Is your beer intimate, hand crafted, and artisanally made?