2010 COC May ’10 Extract Beers

Questions and discussions about competitions

Moderator: Jimmy Orkin

RobDrechsler

2010 COC May ’10 Extract Beers

Post by RobDrechsler »

what is the definition of this category? Is this like Orlando's Belly Button Cheese beer?
Beer contains just a small amount of vitamins - that's why it's necessary to drink lot of it
Brewboy

Re: 2010 COC May ’10 Extract Beers

Post by Brewboy »

Orlando's sour mash funk beer is not an extract beer even though he extrated the foulness from the malt.

Extract referes to the use of Malt extract either dry or liquid to make batch of beer. This category covers All BJCP beer styles (Categories 1-23). Extract must make up more than 50% of fermentables.
Scott Townson
May judges be smitten with our brews and long for our nectars throughout eternity!!
RobDrechsler

Post by RobDrechsler »

Ok, I thought as much, since I'm not grain brewing all my beers fit..
Beer contains just a small amount of vitamins - that's why it's necessary to drink lot of it
RobDrechsler

Post by RobDrechsler »

does this exclude hybrids ie.. grain pre boil / extract
Guerra

Post by Guerra »

RobDrechsler wrote:what is the definition of this category?
The May 2010, “Extract Beers” covers all BJCP categories (1-23), in which 50% or more of the fermentable
are made from extract. Entries MUST specify the beer style, Category and Sub-Category.

So yes this would include: "hybrids ie.. grain pre boil / extract" (I like the description: Extract w/ Steeping Grains better). Hybrids make me think about the "BJCP Cat 6, Light Hybrid Beers".

In fact you could even enter a partial mash beer (mini mash + extract), as long as "50% or more of the fermentables are made from extract".

The May 2010, “Extract Beers”, is judged like the "New Entry" cat in the Bluebonnet, you MUST SPECIFY the beer style, Category and Sub-Category. This is the only way the judges can judge the beer.
Orlando Guerra
"You Can't Drink All Day If You Don't Start In The Morning"
RobDrechsler

Post by RobDrechsler »

Guerra wrote:
RobDrechsler wrote:what is the definition of this category?
So yes this would include: "hybrids ie.. grain pre boil / extract" (I like the description: Extract w/ Steeping Grains better).
yes, that does sound better than hybrid, but I was not sure of the correct verbage..