Water for Bohemian Pilsener

This is a place where people can ask questions about brewing. Hopefully, someone who is more knowledgable about brewing will respond.

Moderator: Jimmy Orkin

Jimmy Orkin

Water for Bohemian Pilsener

Post by Jimmy Orkin »

I am brewing a Bo Pils Saturday. I am going to use RO water. I am going to add Calcium Chloride to get the Ca to 50 ppm. John Palmer says you need at least 50 ppm of Ca in your water.

Do I need to have any Magnesium in the water? If I add Epsom Salt I will get Mg but will also get Sulfate that I do not want.

Is there some other way to get Mg other than Epsom Salt? Yeast Nutrient maybe?

Do the grains have Magnesium in them that are extracted in the mash?
Jimmy Orkin
NTHBA Competitions Coordinator 2022
NTHBA Data Guy 2022
donniestyle

Re: Water for Bohemian Pilsener

Post by donniestyle »

That's the big question. This is something that I have always ignored. I've just started using RO water, and have not been adding any salts. If I had added some, it's just a small amount of either CaCl, CaCO3, or CaSO4. The ions aid the mash enzyme activity and pH; is the pH the more important reason the enzyme activity is raised? They are also needed for yeast health, and probably more for growth. If you already have 18M/ml, you may have less to worry about. I found this on the brewery. Quickie Water Chemistry Primer. This is from that page.
Light Lager -- Very small amounts of ions; just enough to acidify the mash. Model: Mosher's "Ideal Pale Lager". 1 gram Epsom Salt, 0.5 grams baking soda, 1 gram chalk, 0.5 grams canning salt. Ca=21, SO4=21, Mg=5.2, Na=18, Cl=16, CO3=51, Hardness=74, Alkalinity=69.

The Pilsen profile is much less. If you are set on adding the calcium, go with the one that would accentuate the malt and not the hops.
Is your beer intimate, hand crafted, and artisanally made?
Jimmy Orkin

Post by Jimmy Orkin »

I think I found the answer. There is a chemical called Magnesium Chloride. It is used for deicing and to add Mg to Aquariums. MgCl2 comes as MgCl2 Hexahydrate which means it has six water molecules attached. 1 gram of MgCl2 Hexahydrate added to 1 gallon of water will increase the Mg by 31.6 ppm and Cl2 by 70.8 ppm.

I won't bother with it this time.
Jimmy Orkin
NTHBA Competitions Coordinator 2022
NTHBA Data Guy 2022
Guerra

Post by Guerra »

I did a Bo-Pils on Friday, I followed the "Pope's Teachings"(ref the Jamil Show, 04-23-07 Bo-Pils, on the Brewing Network) when it came to the water. I also followed the receipe from Brewing Classic Styles (aka the "Bible")

The Pope said mix RO w/ about 25% tap water. He says never use 100% RO because you will be missing minerals important to the mash and fermentation. I went ahead and used some "5.2" in my mash also.

Orlando
Orlando Guerra
"You Can't Drink All Day If You Don't Start In The Morning"