FOAM!

This is a place where people can ask questions about brewing. Hopefully, someone who is more knowledgable about brewing will respond.

Moderator: Jimmy Orkin

ClayMahone

FOAM!

Post by ClayMahone »

i have brew in a keg for the first time (very exciting!). it's a simple light American lager, it was at about 50 degrees when i carbonated it at about 15-16 PSI.
i'm getting nothing but foam.
i tried it with the pressure on, with it turned down to 10 psi, with the CO2 completely off, and even after a complete manual venting of the canister presure. even with the canister vented and the co2 bottle off, i still get all foam.

can someone clue me in on what i am doing wrong? :oops:
Clay Mahone
2010 NTHBA Minister of Education
Thors Brother

Re: FOAM!

Post by Thors Brother »

You over carbonated the beer.

Depressure to ~5 lbs and shake the carbouy. Come back in a hour or so and depressure again.

Are you measuring your keg pressure after carbonation?
ClayMahone

Post by ClayMahone »

Thors Brother wrote:You over carbonated the beer.

Depressure to ~5 lbs and shake the carbouy. Come back in a hour or so and depressure again.

Are you measuring your keg pressure after carbonation?
i will try that,
but how do i measure pressure after carbonation? the regulator tells me the pressure it is delivering to the keg, right?
Clay Mahone
Thors Brother

Post by Thors Brother »

You can build a little pressure gauge (30 psi) connected to a Gas side connector and measure your keg pressure any time you wish. This is with no CO2 tanks hooked up.

I always pressure a keg. Wait two days and then take a pressure measurement of the keg to make sure I pressured the beer correctly.

I don't know how to attach pictures in the forum. If you tell me how to, I will attach a picture.
ClayMahone

Post by ClayMahone »

thanks. i shook it up and depressurized it, then let it settle and it is still a little foamy, but much better than before.

sorry, i dont know how to post pics either, but i get what you're saying about the pressure gauge. i think i can get one at HarborFreight and hook it up to a nozzle.
Clay Mahone
Thors Brother

Post by Thors Brother »

Keep depressuring it until the equilibrium pressure is ~12 lbs in the keg. Let it settle down and it should pour real well for you.
chris mewhinney

Post by chris mewhinney »

Excessive foam can also be caused by temperature. Be sure the beer is 45ish, as well as those things that come into contact with it (such as the beer line, tap, and glass). Theoretically, you should be able to pour beer carbonated at much higher psi's than 16. I always hold mine at 20 or more ('cause I like to burp).

One more thing, are you venting the pressure down to 6-8 psi prior to pouring? You can't leave it at 15 when you pour. If you do, you will always get foam. Carbonation and pouring need to be at different psi, unless you drink frequently. If you're like me, and drink once or twice a week, you need to hold the keg at carb pressure (16-20psi) until you're ready to pour. Then lower it to 8ish. Once you're too drunk to drink anymore, raise the pressure back up to 16ish.

That's what I do, anyway.

Chris
Chris Mewhinney
There's a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".
Thors Brother

Post by Thors Brother »

I keep my kegs at 30 degrees.
Keg pressure 12 psi
Push 8-12 psi
chris mewhinney

Just curious...why so cold?
Chris Mewhinney
Thors Brother

Post by Thors Brother »

I like it cold.
ssage21

Post by ssage21 »

I had a pale ale get over-pressurized once with a new regulator that was slow to read the tank pressure when I was adjusting it. I was in the other room when the blow-off valve opened a day later. I’m guessing it blows about 90psi. That was foamy beer. Fortunately it didn’t have good head retention, so I would pour a glass worth in a pitcher and let it calm down while I drink the first one.
Guerra

Post by Guerra »

ClayMahone wrote:about 50 degrees when i carbonated it at about 15-16 PSI.
That should not have over carbonated your beer. I figure that was only 2.3 vol of CO2.

Lets talk about your gear. What is the diam. and length of your serving line? For highly carbonated beers I use a 5 foot of 3/16 on my serving line. A long lenght of 3/16 line will reduce foaming.

Orlando
Orlando Guerra
"You Can't Drink All Day If You Don't Start In The Morning"
chris mewhinney

I agree, Orlando. It's not the psi, in and of itself. Unless, as I mentioned, the psi at the time it's being poured is left too high. If he's pouring with the pressure dialed up to 16 psi, he will get foam, no matter the carbonation level or temperature.

Chris
Chris Mewhinney
ClayMahone

Post by ClayMahone »

thanks for all the input. i've got it working properly now. i bought my set up at Kelly's: 5 gal soda keg, dispenser line is about 2 ft.

:?: my next question is: can i fill my co2 bottle with nitrogen and will it all work just the same? i've had nitro beers on tap in the past and i instantly fell in love with the smoothness. Maybe this question should be in a new thread?
Clay Mahone
donniestyle

Post by donniestyle »

Clay,

I think you can get a CO2+N mix at the locations where they fill CO2 tanks. These are not your local home brew store of local beverage store (swap). Koetter http://koetterfire.com/ may do it. There is another place near downtown Dallas, http://www.theparkitmarket.com/specialkeg.htm.

Don
Is your beer intimate, hand crafted, and artisanally made?