Lone Star Standings

Questions and discussions about competitions

Moderator: Jimmy Orkin

kingsbrew

Lone Star Standings

Post by kingsbrew »

The Lone Star Circuit standings have been updated.

BAM - 188
NTHBA - 165
Zealots - 79

Still to go is Cactus and Dixie. There is still time to get your Dixie entries in.
Leroy
Guerra

Re: Lone Star Standings

Post by Guerra »

I reviewed the LSC standing and there is an error. Don and Kelly earned 11 points at the Celtic, however the LSC shows them only earning 5 points.

So they were shorted 6 points. Which will bring the Club total to 171 points.

Orlando
Orlando Guerra
"You Can't Drink All Day If You Don't Start In The Morning"
Thors Brother

Post by Thors Brother »

I did a lot of calculating and investigation on this point thingy. From what I can see, all beers that are "specialty" for the competition are not included in the point totals for the Lone Star Circuit. So Don and Kelly was correct at 5 points because 6 of the 11 you mentioned were from the "Celtic Lagers" Not a BJCP style, but a specialty category made for the Celtic competition. This theory holds true for the other competitions as well. Cerveza fest did not award Lone Star Circuit (LSC)points to the winner of the "Funkiest of show beer". Also, the Dixie cup past winners of their "Specialty" category never gets LSC points. Again, the liquors and other wierd stuff and the Lunar did not get LSC points.

However, I did find a counting error in Cerveza Fest... BAM should only have 38 by my count. It's possible I might be missing something. I did a lot of manual counting on the individual sites and have a screaming headache.

I think the totals should be:
BAM = 186
NTHBA = 165
Zealots = 79
Guerra

Post by Guerra »

Thors Brother,

Sorry, I am sure we know each other, but I do not recognize you from your user name. Who are you? Are you with the LSC?

I am fairly new to this, but usually when a particular category is not counted toward LSC points it is specifically stated in the Competition Rules or the Style Guidelines for that competition. Also the entries are specifically omitted from Best of Show (BOS) competition. Do you agree?

I re-reviewed the Celtic Website and was unable to find any verbiage stating that "Celtic Lagers" were not a points accumulating category. Did you find/see something different? The one reference I found regarding to the points being awarded was:

"Celtic Homebrewer of the Year: The brewer accumulating the most placement points from the Celtic Brew-Off categories will be recognized as Celtic Brewer of the Year. Points are awarded as follows: 1st place - 3 points, 2nd place - 2 points, 3rd place - 1 point. Tie breakers will be in the following order: Number of 1st place winners, Number of 2nd place winners, Number of 3rd place winners. A coin toss will be used as the final tie break. The Celtic Homebrewer of the Year will receive an unique award. "

"Celtic Lagers" was a Celtic Brew Off Category.

Please note that Don/Kelly's "Celtic Lagers" entry also was awarded BOS. I am not aware of another competition in which a non points eligible category was qualified for the BOS title.

Do you have a different insight?

With "Celtic Lagers" being a Celtic Brew Off Category, and winning BOS, I believe we (Don, Kelly & NTHBA) have a valid claim to the points.

Orlando
Orlando Guerra
Thors Brother

Post by Thors Brother »

My comments are based mostly on observation and deduction. I'm not with the LSC and I could be way off on what I have guessed. However, it does state in the Lone Star Circuit page that "specialty categories" do not count towards points. This was the premise I used when I started counting points on the individual websites and guessed why Don and Kelly received 5 instead of 11.

I'm not going to pretend I understand the rules of Celtic or any other competition. I just added points and it came up with what they said in the LSC.
Guerra

Post by Guerra »

TB,

Your observations and deductions were correct.

I crossed referenced the 2006-2008 LSC and Celtic Winners lists and it appears that the "Celtic Lagers" have historically not been awarded points.

Which is a shame because we need every point we can get.

Orlando
Orlando Guerra