2009 Cactus Challenge Packing Party 8/16 @ Orlando's

All archived info for past competitions and related posts.

Moderator: Jimmy Orkin

Guerra

2009 Cactus Challenge Packing Party 8/16 @ Orlando's

Post by Guerra »

The 2009 Cactus Challenge is on. We need to make a strong showing if we to have any chance of catching BAM in the quest for the LSC HB Club of the Year. So if you have any entries that fit the Style Requirements, please considering entering..

EDITED
The web site up: http://www.ale-iansociety.org/cactus/index.html

I have attached xls versions of the Registration Form, Recipe Form, & Bottle Labels.

Note, you will require a Recipe Form and Bottle labels per entry.

The Style Categories are as follows:

Category 8 (English Pale Ale)
8A) Standard/Ordinary Bitter
8B) Special/Best/Premium Bitter
8C) Extra Special/Strong Bitter (English Pale Ale)

Category 10 (American Ale)
10A) American Pale Ale

Category 14 (India Pale Ale, IPA)
14A) English IPA
14B) American IPA
14C) Imperial IPA

Category 16 (Belgian and French Ale)
16B) Belgian Pale Ale

Deadlines for entries are August 17th through August 28th (edited). The event and ceremony will be held Friday September 18th at a yet to be determined location.

We are having a packing party at my home on Sunday August 16th, starting at 2pm. We will pack the entries that afternoon, and I will drive them to HBHQ Monday. a.m. They will ship from HBHQ Monday afternoon..

Map to my home:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source= ... =UTF8&z=16
We will be shipping entries via UPS. So we will be using the “clark” boxes packed into 14x14x14 heavy duty boxes.

If you can't make the packing party, you can drop off your entries at HBHQ and the club will still pay for shipping. However we will only be accepting "fully packed" entries at HBHQ. Your entry should require only a shipping label. No other effort should be required to prepare the package for shipping.

If you have any questions please contact me..

Orlando
7409 Avalon Drive
Plano TX 75025
[email protected]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Guerra on Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Orlando Guerra
"You Can't Drink All Day If You Don't Start In The Morning"
MattC

Re: 2009 Cactus Challenge Packing Party 8/16 @ Orlando's

Post by MattC »

Thanks for posting this, Orlando. I wanted to register and login to ensure we are all on the same page! There has been some mis-communication about the entry dates along the way, and I am sorry for that. I don't know where the lines got crossed. We will accept entries through August 28th for this year's Cactus Challenge. That should give more time than originally e-mailed to all the LSC clubs to get their entries in.

The styles listed above are correct, and we went to that list to help ease the burden of 300+ possible entries this year for our relatively small club. Last year liked to have killed us all (literally actually). In the future, we hope to be able to bring the Cactus back to accepting all the BJCP categories, but for now due to limited man-power, this is best for us and all those entering beers.

Please don't hesitate to e-mail me at craftydog@gmail or PM me here on your forum (or MattC on the Ale-Ian Forum as well), or call me at 806-438-6977 if I can be of an help.

Thanks!

Matt
Guerra

Post by Guerra »

Well we have one more week to submit entries. But the Packing Party is still scheduled for today.

If you can’t make today’s packing party you will have several other opportunities to get your entries to us.

1) Limbo award ceremony. I will accept your fully packed entries before/after the ceremony.

2) Sunday August 23rd. I am brewing Sunday starting around 9am until 1pm. You can come by and use our shipping materials (self-service) or drop off your fully packed entry.

3) Drop off your entry at HBHQ between August 21st-24th (before noon).

4) Contact me and make special arrangements.

Orlando
[email protected]
Orlando Guerra
MattC

Post by MattC »

Orlando, any rough idea as to the number of entries you all have? Trying to get a schedule set for first round judging and making sure we have enough help. Thanks!
Guerra

Post by Guerra »

MattC wrote:Orlando, any rough idea as to the number of entries you all have? Trying to get a schedule set for first round judging and making sure we have enough help. Thanks!
Sent PM.
Orlando
Orlando Guerra