When Good Beer Goes Bad

This is a place where people can ask questions about brewing. Hopefully, someone who is more knowledgable about brewing will respond.

Moderator: Jimmy Orkin

sirjohn

When Good Beer Goes Bad

Post by sirjohn »

Well I?m back at it again,

About 1 1/2 months ago I started out trying to make my first wheat bear with my "Mr. Beer" kit.

I went down to HQ and spoke with Kelly and crew about a wheat kit. I followed the instructions and added my dry yeast and waited. After 8 days got ready to bottle my beer but tasted it first to see how it was. It was very acidic and didn't taste good. I also noted a bit of mold on the inside of the lid. [:(]

I still bottled it not knowing how it would turn out. I then let the beer set for about a month before testing the first bottle. Can you guess how it tasted? [xx(]

I then went back to Kelly and explained what happened. It appears it was due to my beer getting infected. I have now started using one step as my cleaner and BTF as my sanitizer. Has anyone else had this issue?

I thought I was very careful in making sure I washed everything and then used one step and followed the instructions. I have really started paying attention to everything I touch and everything I touch with my equipment. I make sure I have a sanitized plate that all my equipment is placed on and everything I use it prepped for surgery [:D]

I have purchased the same kit again and tasted it at the start and will taste it before I bottle it. Here's hoping

Sirjohn
Mike Grover

Post by Mike Grover »

John-

It doesn't take much, and once in a great while even an experienced brewer who is very careful with sanitation will nevertheless have an issue like this. You do have to be extra extra careful when sanitizing anything plastic, as it is very easy for bacteria to "hide" in tiny pores or scratches on the surface.

In your case, you tasted the beer and found that it was in fact bad. One thing to be careful of is throwing out a batch BEFORE you verify that it has gone bad. Sometimes you will see a film or other indication of an infection only to find out that it has not affected the aroma or flavor at all.

Here's hoping batch No. 2 turns out just right!

Mike
sirjohn

Post by sirjohn »

Hey Mike,

Thanks for all the wisdom. I will be bringing the last bottle to get some advice. I want to make absolutely sure that this is the issue. I don't have any reference point so I will need the expert advice. I will not force members to drink as I have [:)] but smell and let me know. I am really trying to make sure I have everything in check. Thanks again Mike,

John
AgentOrange

Post by AgentOrange »

SirJ- you can always take your sample to kelly and company, they drink anything..
I mean will "analyze" any problems you may or may not be having..
As for the Mr.beer kit I am not sure how detailed the "process" is,
but you may want to have a bucket or cooler full of your favorite sanitizer on hand
to soak/rest all your needed tools and hoses in..Looks like the whole mrbeer thingy will fit too..
Just make sure to clean/rinse them all off well <u>before</u> dunking them in, to avoid any cross contamination..
Anything that comes anywhere near my beer gets a full soaking..
-Death to all microbes
sirjohn

Post by sirjohn »

Thanks Agent,

I really thought I was careful not to stray from the path but I guess that was not in the cards for me [:(]

I have really worked on this next batch and even used the BTF sanitizer to make sure nothing goes south. If this goes wrong I will really need some help...

Thanks again,
AgentOrange

Post by AgentOrange »

more on sanitation..
http://www.thebrewingnetwork.com/archiv ... -19-06.mp3
good late night listen.. having a good brew in hand helps[:)].. first 1/4 mindless chater..
sirjohn

Post by sirjohn »

Just a follow up,

I just tasted the new batch and all I can say is WOW! So much better when you do it right...

BTF was the trick...

I plan to bottle the new ale Saturday or Sunday. I guess I need to go this Saturday to HQ for my next batch.