usage of fresh hops

This is a place where people can ask questions about brewing. Hopefully, someone who is more knowledgable about brewing will respond.

Moderator: Jimmy Orkin

SauerBeer

usage of fresh hops

Post by SauerBeer »

Anyone have any tips on using freshly grown hops?

Do you break them into individual leaves? How soon after harvest can they be used? I was going to put them (Cascade) directly into the secondary (for a Sierra Pale Ale clone).

Thanks, Steve.
BigWally

Post by BigWally »

I have not used fresh hops, but have used whole hops in the fermenter for dry hopping. The fresher the better would be my opinion. I would not worry about breaking them up. It will be easier to siphon the beer out later if you leave them whole.

Store the rest in your refigerator in airtight bags or better yet a vacuum sealed bag. Whole hops do not have a long self life.
Dragon Slayer

Post by Dragon Slayer »

Are the hops fresh picked? How much did you harvest? Where did you grow them?

Whole hops or leaf hops are dried before use. If your using fresh picked hops(not dried), the general thought is to use six times the amount over what you would normaly use when using dried whole/leaf hops. It's not an exact science and you probably don't know what the Alpha Acids are.

Allow them to dry in the sun (spread out on a screen) for one or two days. Use, then put the remainder into an air-tight container and store them in the freezer. They will last for several months.

For dry hopping, the most common practice is to put them into the keg. However, if you bottle, then the secondary will be fine. Two weeks will be needed for the hop oils to be disolved into the beer by the alcohol.
SauerBeer

Post by SauerBeer »

Thanks for the help. This is my first year to grow hops (first year to brew for that matter). I planted two roots of Cascade hops against the back of the house. They grew up the house and back down again. This is my second harvest and total, I can nearly fill a gallon bucket with flowers. I understand that next year the harvest should be much bigger. Its really been cool watching them grow this summer! I will be using them in a pale ale. I suppose I'll dry hop in the secondary.