BB Entry Fees

All archived info for past competitions and related posts.

Moderator: Jimmy Orkin

Mob_Barley

BB Entry Fees

Post by Mob_Barley »

I really hate to hijack ya'lls forum like this, but I can't get anyone to answer the admin emails for the Bluebonnet Brew Off site. I had some trouble with paypal and mailed a check for entry fees on Feb. 2nd. The check still hasn't cleared and I don't know if my entries were disqualified, or are ya'll holding the check for some reason...I sent an email weeks prior to the competition saying that'd I'd send another check or pay with paypal if someone would give me the paypal id to use, but never heard anything back. Anyone have any contact info that I can use to get an answer? Thanks for your patience and understanding...
Bill Lawrence

Re: BB Entry Fees

Post by Bill Lawrence »

Unfortunately, the Bluebonnet is a stand alone entity and NTHBA does not "control" it's activities. Having said that, and with the understanding that any remarks following are "unofficial", here is my take on your situation. Two weeks ago, all the entries were checked in up at Hog Heaven. After unpacking, we (and I say we because I was one of the grunts helping) checked to see that there was evidence of payment before entries were processed. If there were issues with payment, broken bottles, missing paperwork etc., people got phone calls to clear up the situation. Although I was not handling that end of it, I would say that if you did not receive a phone call, you are probably ok. The fact that your check did not clear yet likely means absolutely nothing as I would be willing to bet that the treasurer of that operation has not yet deposited them (there are approximatly 1,300 entries this year so you can just quess at the number of checks involved which will all need to be handled manually by some poor sod). If memory serves me correctly, it took some time for my checks to clear in prior years so I wouldn't worry about it too much. During this phase of the contest, the potentates running the show are almost in frezy mode so the fact that nobody has e-mailed you is not really all that surprising either.

If my unoffical comments have not eased your mind a little I have one last suggestion. The last flights are being judged in Ft. Worth this weekend. Just show up Saturday (if you are local) and ask the guys with the laptops keeping track of judging if your registration is in order. They should be able to query the software's database and let you know where you stand. While there, judge a couple flights, it's fun and if you have never done it, you will learn alot plus meet some neat folks (although some of us are smart asses). :D
Remember, brewers make wort, only yeast make beer
Mob_Barley

Post by Mob_Barley »

Thanks so much for your reply. I figured/hoped this was the situation. I live outside Lafayette, LA, so I may be able to drive up for the final round and awards. Since I didn't get a call, I'm not going to worry about it and look forward to hearing the results. Best Wishes to all and thanks again.
Fred David

Post by Fred David »

Based on past experience, it has taken up to a couple of months for checks to clear for the Bluebonnet. This seems to be about normal. I wouldn't worry too much about whether your entires made it into the competition. I will contact the data guyto see if you were if everything is ok and I will let you know. Give me a couple of days.

Fred David 8)
Fred David
Mob_Barley

Post by Mob_Barley »

Thanks Fred. I'm not too concerned now that I see your replies. I understand it's a HUGE competition and things bog down. Thanks for your reply.
Mob_Barley

Post by Mob_Barley »

Hi all, congrats for all of you that are winners in the NHC. I'm in the South division, so I didn't have to compete with ya'll. I wanted to let ya'll know about a website I'm writing called http://www.winning-homebrew.com. I put up a spreadsheet to index all the recipes in the book Brewing Classic Styles by Jamil and John Palmer. Since the back of the book doesn't reference the yeast or malts by recipe, I put them all together so you can search for a recipe to brew out of the book by finding the yeast or malts you have in your inventory. I helps me a lot, where I don't have to go through the entire book, recipe by recipe to find out which recipe to brew with the yeast I have on hand. Anyway, if ya'll would like to download the spreadsheet, you can get it here: http://www.winning-homebrew.com/recipe-database.html

I'd also like to find out who to ask about the T-shirts for the bluebonnet. I paid but never got one. Since I didn't win anything at the bluebonnet it won't be quite as cool, but I'd still like to get it. (I did win 2nd runner-up BOS at this years MCAB and 2nd at the NHC 1st round for a barleywine that didn't even place at the bluebonnet, go figure). Thanks for ya'lls time, and good luck in the final round for those going.