fermentation smells

This is a place where people can ask questions about brewing. Hopefully, someone who is more knowledgable about brewing will respond.

Moderator: Jimmy Orkin

glitterbug

fermentation smells

Post by glitterbug »

With the cooler weather coming, I may move fermentation indoors. I have a great cooling setup (son of fermentation chiller), but the temps in the garage may be too cold to use a fermwrap or brewbelt. Is there anyway to control the smell of the fermentation? I will use a blow off tube and was thinking of setting up an automatic febreeze dispenser to help with the smell and maybe adding something to the blow off water. It will go in the spare bathroom but I don't want to stink it up or risk "residual" stench afterword. Any thoughts?
BrotherhoodBrew

Re: fermentation smells

Post by BrotherhoodBrew »

I'm not sure I would use any sort of scented products that close to fermentation. They might end up in your beer in some way. I know with my setup I am able to keep temps all winter with a fermwrap. I have a fridge that I put everything in and just unplug it and use it for a big insulated box. If you fermentation chamber is well insulated I would bet it will hold up. If you move it indoors you could try some Arm & Hammer in the chamber maybe.
Damon Lewis
Cedar Creek Brewery
http://www.facebook.com/CedarCreekBrewery
Guerra

Post by Guerra »

What you call fermentation stink, I call goodness :D My bathroom stinks w/o a fermentor. :oops:

IMO, at homebrew scale the smell is minimal. Now if you were making a 15bbl batch maybe that could be different. The most active fermation only last a few days. So unless SWMBO, makes a big deal about it, don't sweat it.

I would not add anything to the blow-off water. Depending upon your set-up, you could potentially suck that blow-off water back into your fermentor. It has happened to me more than once. I think there could also be a risk to your gear (i.e. blow off hose, bucket), getting a permanent febreeze smell in it, and leaching into what ever you put into it.

I am not very familiar with the SOFC, but I would think the "smell" would stay in a closed space until it is open. What has been your experience in the past? I ferment inside of a kegarator, no smell until you open the door. Even when you open the door it is never overpowering (incld lagers).

Try it w/o worrying about the smell. If it is too bad, use a fan. If it still to bad light a candle.

Orlando
Orlando Guerra
"You Can't Drink All Day If You Don't Start In The Morning"
chris mewhinney

Post by chris mewhinney »

I agree with Orlando! Love that smell (the fermentation, not the bathroom). My fermenters stay in my clothes closet, and I hardly ever stink...well...my clothes hardly ever stink. I DO find that if I leave the door closed, it can get pretty rank in there, so I leave it open, temperature permitting.

Chris