Dixie Cup 2008, Your Entries Ready???

All archived info for past competitions and related posts.

Moderator: Jimmy Orkin

Guerra

Dixie Cup 2008, Your Entries Ready???

Post by Guerra »

The Dixie Cup is the last Lone Star Circuit sanction competition of the year. We are in a close second for HB Club of the Year. We need everyone participating so we make the best showing we can. Additional information can be found on their web site: http://www.crunchyfrog.net/dixiecup/

The Dixie will be accepting entries through <b><u>September 19th</u></b> ($7.00 Online, $8.00 paper) with late entries accepted through <b><u>September 26th</u></b> ($10.00 online/paper) . The 25th Annual competition will be held Friday and Saturday, October 17th & 18th at the the Crown Plaza Hotel, Northwest-Br<b></b>ookhollow, located at 12801 Northwest Freeway (US-290 and Pinemont). Room rates are $69.00 through October 10th or until all rooms are sold.

<u><b>We have not determined if we are driving the entries up or having a packing party for this event. GET YOUR ENTRIES READY SOON. WE MAY NEED TO DRIVE THEM UP OR HAVE A PACKING PARTY AS EARLY AS FRIDAY 9/12. PLEASE LOOK ON THE DISCUSSION BOARDS FOR FURTHER INFORMATION.</b></u>
Guerra

Post by Guerra »

All,

We have two options to get our Dixie entries to Houston:

<u><b>?Option 1?:</b></u> Drop off your entries, ?fully packed and ready for shipping?, at HBHQ by 1pm Wed. Sept. 17th to make the early entry deadline ($7.00 Online, $8.00 paper).

<b><u>?Option 2?:</u></b> Drop off your entries, ?fully packed and ready for shipping?, at HBHQ by 1pm Wed. Sept. 24th to make the late entry deadline ($10.00 online/paper).

Please note in either scenario the club will only be providing a shipping label and pay for shipping. So each individual will be responsible for properly preparing their entries for shipping.

To prepare your entries, the Dixie site suggests that you wrap each bottle in a section of bubble wrap or newspaper. Place one entry (three bottles) in a cardboard malt case or similar sized box, separate the bottles and fill the extra spaces with wadded newspaper or packing Styrofoam. Line a cardboard box with a plastic trash bag and place smaller boxes and plenty of packing material inside the bag. Make sure to fill the box completely! Tie the bag and seal the box securely. Mark the box FRAGILE and THIS END UP. These markings mean absolutely nothing to the shippers, but should give you some peace of mind anyway.

If we can make arrangements with someone to drive entries up we will simply collect any entries that had been dropped off at HBHQ and take those up. We will still ship entries on the 17th and 24th regardless.

Thanks,
Orlando
donniestyle

Post by donniestyle »

I?m confused over the ?Dixie Cup XXV Styles? page. There are many subcategories listed, which do not state whether there are medals awarded for them. For instance, see Light Hybrid Beer; kolsch is separated out, and it does not state whether medals will be awarded for the subcategory. Amber Hybrid Beer, English Pale Ale, Scottish and Irish, American Ale, Stout, India Pale Ale, Belgian and French Ale, Old Ale, Fruit Beer, and Specialty Beer all have the same issue.

Man, the Cider and Perry will be tough; only 3 medals for 9 subcategories. Why don?t they at least break it into 2 sets of medals for categories 27 & 28? That's also meak showing for Mead & Cider BOS. There will be 3 meads and one cider/perry competing for BOS. Good luck getting a BOS for cider and perry.
donniestyle

Post by donniestyle »

Is there any update on whether hurricane Ike put a damper on this event?
Mike Grover

Post by Mike Grover »

See other thread. So far the only effect we know for certain is that they have dropped the additional fee for late registration, so all entries can be registered for the lower price through 09/26/08.
mtodd

Post by mtodd »

So who is coming to town for the Dixie Cup? I havent brewed in forever but wouldnt mind hanging out with some of my old NTHBA buddies if you are coming down. Let me know and maybe we can meet up on Saturday afternoon for a couple of beers or something.
donniestyle

Post by donniestyle »

Hey Mark. Nice to hear from you. I'm not going to make it. Hoist one on me. I hope you hear my name a lot at the award ceremony!