2008 Dixie Cup Specialty Category

All archived info for past competitions and related posts.

Moderator: Jimmy Orkin

Mike Grover

2008 Dixie Cup Specialty Category

Post by Mike Grover »

Thanks to Jacque Keller, our Lone Star Circuit rep, for passing this along:

All,

Several have asked with what guildlines will the specialtycategory,
Malt Liquor, be judged. Here are the particulars. Also note that clear, screw-cap bottles will be awarded extra points.

*Malt Liquor*

High in starting gravity and alcoholic strength, this style is somewhat diverse. Some American malt liquors are just slightly stronger than American lagers, while others approach bock strength. Some residual sweetness is perceived. Hop rates are very low, contributing little bitterness and virtually no hop aroma or flavor. Perception of sweet-fruity esters and complex alcohols (though not solvent-like) are acceptable at low levels. Chill haze and diacetyl should not be perceived. The style is best enjoyed in large clear bottles in brown paper bags and when consumed near dumpsters.

*Extra authenticity points will be given for beers in 32 oz. bottles or larger. Clear bottles and screwcaps are optional but not required. (How the entrant seals the screwcaps is up to the individual homebrewer. Commercial examples include: Mickey's, King Cobra, Colt 45, and Olde English. Note: entries will be judged in competition provided brown paper bags by the nearest dumpsters. Judges will be seated in lawnchairs.

Original Gravity

1.050-1.060

12.5-15.0 Plato

Final Gravity

1.004-1.010

1.0-2.5 Plato

Alcohol

5.0-6.0% ABW

6.25-7.5% ABV

Bitterness

12-23 IBU

Color

2-5 SRM

4-10 EBC
Techsan

Post by Techsan »

What are the chances of ordering new 40oz screw cap bottles? I checked out the "selection" at a local beer store, all the caps have logos on them. I will see if there are more "varieties" when I'm in south Dallas next week, but I have a feeling that the selection will be similar.

Any ideas?
Mike Grover

Post by Mike Grover »

You can mark out the cap with a black Sharpie or Marks-A-Lot pen. Folks do this with regular beer entries too. The only other option I can think of would be to look for soda bottles that might have the same type of cap.