Alt examples

Discussions about beer, life, that sort of thing

Moderator: Jimmy Orkin

kingsbrew

Alt examples

Post by kingsbrew »

Does anyone know where a commercial Alt can be purchased locally? I have only been successful in finding Pinkus Alt.

I am looking for examples for the BJCP class.
If you have a bottle of anything I'll be glad to reimburse you for the cost of one. We'll also take homebrew samples if you have one.

Contact myself or Ken Woodson.

My email is [email protected].
Mike Grover

Post by Mike Grover »

Leroy -

I think I have one extra 12-oz bottle of a Dusseldorf alt homebrew that I would be willing to part with. Unfortunately, commercial examples range from scarce to non-existant in the U.S. now. Diebels and Frankenheim used to be available but have not been imported for many years now. Hacker Pschorr has an "alt" available, but the consensus is that it isn't truly an altbier, and as far as I know it is only in kegs (Saucer carries it). Victory makes what amounts to an imperial altbier, but I haven't seen it on shelves lately (it might be seasonal). As you probably know, Pinkus Alt is a Muenster alt, a different beast altogether. Alaskan Amber Ale is actually an altbier, if you can find someone willing to part with a bottle (it is only distributed in the Pacific Northwest, unfortunately).

Mike
kingsbrew

Post by kingsbrew »

Yeah, that is all pretty much as I thought. I just thought I would verify. Majestic has Frankenheimer on their on-line list but none in inventory. If you are willing to part with the homebrew bottle bring it to the brew day and give it to me or Ken. We'll have to make sure it doesn't get shared that day. Thanks for the response. Anyone else with a sample can bring it to the brewday on the 12th.
Mike Grover

Post by Mike Grover »

How did the alt tasting go?
kingsbrew

Post by kingsbrew »

It went well. We really enjoyed your brew. Thanks for sharing it with us. We also had a bottle from the Bluebonnet that some thought was yours too. A very nice beer. They did taste very similar.