2008 Celtic Brew-Off

All archived info for past competitions and related posts.

Moderator: Jimmy Orkin

Guerra

2008 Celtic Brew-Off

Post by Guerra »

The next competition in the Lone Star Circuit is the Celtic Brew-Off http://hbd.org/kobb/celtic/celtic11.htm. The competition is open to styles of fermented beverages associated with the Celtic regions of England, Scotland, Wales, Ireland, or Brittany. Any of 14 categories of homebrewed ale, mead, and cider may be entered. See the web site for the specific BJCP categories open to this competition.

Right now the web site has not been updated for the 2008 competition. However the 2007 Entries were accepted the <b><u>first week of May</u></b>. I expect this year?s competition to require entries around the same time frame. <b><u>So you have 5-6 weeks to prepare your entries</u></b>.

THREE bottles are required per entry. Entries are restricted to one per sub-category, with a maximum of three per overall category. To insure anonymity, bottles must be 12 to 16 ounces in size and free of labels or any distinguishable markings.

Orlando
Captain Kangabrew

Post by Captain Kangabrew »

Looks like the due date for entries is Friday, May 9th. Is Homebrew Headquarters a drop-off locations?

I hope to not be too hung over after the spring party to brew a Southern English Brown on Sunday. Such a small beer should be ready just in time. Took 3rd last year in the Lunar Redezbrew with this recipe, so I have high hopes for this beer in this year's Celtic.
Mike Grover

Post by Mike Grover »

HBHQ is a drop-off location. In addition to sending a lot of entries in, I would like to see our club help out with judging. As soon as judging dates are announced, they will be posted here and we will see about putting some carpools together.
ejonsson

Post by ejonsson »

I don't know if the Knights have announced an official date, but I heard Just Dave say that judging would be Saturday May 17th. I think the entry deadline is the 9th, and login on the 10th.

I plan to be available to help with the login and judging.

This is a little off topic, but what about the Big Batch Brew Batch? Is there a group shipment of club entries planned for that one?

Einar
Mike Grover

Post by Mike Grover »

Einar -

I don't know that anything formal has been planned for the BBBB, but certainly the club will pick up shipping. Fred David and I have an entry. I am not sure how many other club members are entering this competition. It is one style only: weizenbock. I figure that if we UPS out our entries by about May 3rd we should be good. If anyone else is entering this competition chime in and we can ship them together. I've got a couple of 12-oz beer shippers available.

Mike
Grumps

Post by Grumps »

Why are they not updating the Celtic web site with entry dates?
Grumps

Post by Grumps »

It seems the link for the Celtic on the Lone Star Circuit page is pointing to last year's Celtic home page. Here is the link for this year's Celtic.

http://hbd.org/kobb/celtic/celtic12.html
Mike Grover

Post by Mike Grover »

Unfortunately that site has said "coming soon" for some time now. Jacque Keller was able to get an electronic copy of the Celtic brochure through the Lone Star Circuit. We will make this available on the home page soon. In the meantime, the critical dates are:

Friday, May 9th - entries are due
Saturday, May 17th - judging at J. Gilligan's in Arlington

Prosit!
Mike Grover

Post by Mike Grover »

As an update, the Celtic 2008 details are now on the home page. Scroll down to the topic and you will find a link to a file that contains all event details, entry forms, and bottle label forms. Be sure to enter, and remember that entries are due next Friday (May 9th).