Mar/Apr COC, Perfect Porter

All archived info for past competitions and related posts.

Moderator: Jimmy Orkin

Guerra

Mar/Apr COC, Perfect Porter

Post by Guerra »

The Mar/Apr competition is coming up soon and the style is ?Perfect Porter?. The Porter subcategories include: 12A. Brown Porter, 12B. Robust Porter, and 12C. Baltic Porter.

Please turn in your entries to "The Home Brew HQ" by Sunday March 9th, before closing. Late entries will be accepted at the Club meeting Tuesday March 11th. The 1st place winner of the competition will have the winning beer entered into the AHA Club-Only Competitions for free. AHA entry deadline is March 21, 2008. We will also feature the winner in the NTHBA Newsletter the next month
Haney

Post by Haney »

When is the judging for this and when will you post the results?
donniestyle

Post by donniestyle »

Orlando, if you need help judging I can help.
Guerra

Post by Guerra »

Man it has been a busy week of judging good beers. The March/April 2008 COC was the Perfect Porter Challenge. The judging was held Sunday 3/16/08 at Homebrew Headquarters.

We had (11) total Porter Entries, (6) 12A. Brown Porters, (4) 12B. Robust Porter and (1) 12C. Baltic Porter and (3) Judges.

First Place: Anthony Perea, 12A. Brown Porter
Second Place: Mike Grover, 12A. Brown Porter, Brew Day Brown
Third Place: Steve Haney, 12C. Baltic Porter, Pushkin Porter
Honerable Mention: Leroy Gharis, 4th Quarter Porter

The May COC will be Extract Beers. The competition will be open to all BJCP 2004 beer styles (categories 1-23) Extract must make up more than 50% of the fermentables. I will be calling for entries the first or second week of April. Keep an eye on the boards for details.

The current Club Only competition is as follows:

Damon Lewis - 3
Anthony Perea - 3
Bill Lawrence ? 2
Mike Grover ? 2
Leroy Gharis -1
Steve Haney - 1

Orlando
Mike Grover

Post by Mike Grover »

In case the name didn't give it away, my porter was the one brewed at the chilly January brew day. This beer is also in the Bluebonnet, so I'll keep my fingers crossed. Hopefully Anthony's and Steve's were also entered. Porter is the toughest category in the Bluebonnet this year - 56 entries. I think that a decent number of those came from our club.