Survey Discussion

Discussions about beer, life, that sort of thing

Moderator: Jimmy Orkin

BigWally

Survey Discussion

Post by BigWally »

I would like to start a thread to discuss the survey results. The officers have been reviewing the responses and are working on plans to address the concerns and wishes of the membership. If you have anything you would like to chime in on, please feel free to post it here.

I know some of us can be passionate about things, but let's keep it civil.

The primary trend in the survey is a desire for more education sessions. If you have suggestions for education topics, please share them. If you would be willing to conduct a training session, please let us know. We are thinking about tying education sessions at the club meeting to brewdays. For example, discuss a style of beer such as dopplebock and the techniques used to produce the beer. Then at the brewday, a couple of dopplebocks could be brewed, one demonstrating decoction mashing and the other using melanoiden malt. Later the beers could be compared side-by-side.
Maybe the purpose of your life is to serve as a warning to others.
Bill Lawrence

Re: Survey Discussion

Post by Bill Lawrence »

It does seem that education is a big deal based on the survey results. I wonder though, are most of the responses wanting more education from the newer members? If that is the case then that might dictate what topics might be popular. I wonder how many of the folks that responded that way are extract brewers as versus all grain (or aspiring all grain brewers)? Again, the answer to that question could potentially seriously alter the education programs offered. Since I have been brewing for what seems like forever what I might find interesting would probably render a newbee comatose (and the opposite is also true).

If the education content revovlves around making particular styles of beer, it might make sense to try and integrate the programs around what styles will be contested a couple months down the line in the Brewer Royale. You could then teach what the style should be like, show folks how to brew the style then judge the results in a non-threatening enviornment which is also cheap ('cause homebrewers are if nothing else cheap).

Finally I agree with the notion that homebrew should be the focus rather than swilling commercial beers (but you have heard that rant from me before so I'll spare you the regular missive on the subject). Sadly, I also agree that the great state of Texas in it's infinite wisdom makes that more difficult than it should be. :D
Remember, brewers make wort, only yeast make beer
BigWally

Post by BigWally »

Bill Lawrence wrote: If the education content revovlves around making particular styles of beer, it might make sense to try and integrate the programs around what styles will be contested a couple months down the line in the Brewer Royale. You could then teach what the style should be like, show folks how to brew the style then judge the results in a non-threatening enviornment which is also cheap ('cause homebrewers are if nothing else cheap).
Tying the brewday to the COC is also something we discussed. I think that we have opportunities to all learn from each other. I know there are thing you do, such as re-pitching yeast, that I have never done and would be interested in learning about. I think as long as we vary the education, there will be something for everyone to enjoy and learn from.

One of the suggestions was to pair a non-experienced brewer up with an experienced brewer at the brew days. This would be less formal education, but would help in building camaraderie and would help new brewers get involved. I like this and would like to work on it for the upcoming brewdays.
Maybe the purpose of your life is to serve as a warning to others.
mtodd

Post by mtodd »

As a former member who still tries to keep up with the club I would like to chime in and say that one of the biggest things that helped me take that next step in my brewing was going to brew days and watching how other folks did it. Another step from that was being invited over to brew with Don Trotter and Kelly Harris from time to time. I learned more brewing with Don than I ever learned from any books or from doing it myself.

We are also looking at trying to incorporate more educational opportunities in our monthly meetings down here with the CIA. I would be interested in seeing how you guys tie it all together as we have a lot of new brewers in our club down here in Katy. We have only been a formal club for about 18 months or so. In fact most of our members entered competitions this past year for the first time so there are plenty of things we can do to educate our membership.