Candy Sugar

This is a place where people can ask questions about brewing. Hopefully, someone who is more knowledgable about brewing will respond.

Moderator: Jimmy Orkin

Bill Lawrence

Candy Sugar

Post by Bill Lawrence »

I enjoy a good abbey dubble on occasion (well ok, maybe more frequently than that) and am trying to get a good receipe developed. Since sugar is a big deal with this style, I would love to get hold of some authentic Belgium liquid candy sugar to experiment with. I notice that they have a new product at Norther Brewer which is advertised to be just that. Has anybody tried it yet or have any suggestions concerning other sugars which do a good job? I would also love to get any good receipes anybody might have for this style out there.

Thanks
Bill
brewbuzzard

Post by brewbuzzard »

Bill,

I have only used the candy sugars sold at Kelly's and with good results. What I would do if I were you is to get some of this other sugar and try it. If it is the real thing and gives the result you want then you know, if not it will still be a good beer. You can also give it to me and I will suffer through for you.

Rich
donniestyle

Post by donniestyle »

Buzz:

I like your kind gesture. I wouldn't mind helping you out with that.
Haney

Post by Haney »

The "rock" Candy sugar is beet sugar. Not that different from cane sugar. You can get 3 pound bags of it at Whole Foods which I used instead of clear Candy Sugar. Supposedly, the colored CS doesn't really add any color to the beer (which makes you wonder why have three colors!?!), but I usually use the colored candies when called for in dubbles and darks. My last Strong Dark was done with WF beet sugar. None of the judges marked off for wrong color sugar......[;)]