Bluebonnet Brew-Off Peoples Choice Beers

Questions and discussions about competitions

Moderator: Jimmy Orkin

Bill Lawrence

Re: Bluebonnet Brew-Off Peoples Choice Beers

Post by Bill Lawrence »

Just a couple of things;

First, I got off my dead ass and brewed an English Summer Bitter which I'll bring to the "room crawl" in leiu of the Oatmeal Stout I originally indicated that I would bring.

Secondly, I did the required paperwork to be allowed to bring said Bitter to the event. I do have a question however: Is some stormtrooper from the TABC going to show up at my house unanounced and inspect my little operation in the future looking for real or imagined transgressions? I notice that my address was on the form, is the Bluebonnet going to submit that to the TABC and am I going to show up on some list of "undesirables"? I suppose should that come to pass however I will personally know damn near everyone on the list. :D
Remember, brewers make wort, only yeast make beer
Jimmy Orkin

Post by Jimmy Orkin »

Bill,

Your name and address will be sent to the TABC to get authorization for you to transport your homebrew to the Peoples Choice Competition at the BB event. You are correct that many other brewers will be on that list. Your name was already given to the TABC to authorize you to transport your homebrew from your house to the dropoff location for the BB big competition.
Jimmy Orkin
NTHBA Competitions Coordinator 2022
NTHBA Data Guy 2022
slackerlack

Post by slackerlack »

The TABC bounty hunter will use his blaster to destroy your front door and come inspect your house to make sure you are only imagining the keg of beer in question. They can't have tasty brews floating around in this galaxy. If said beer is in-fact real, then you will be taken to the local Rancor pit in your area. Which, fortunately, all of us will be there to join you. Just remember, we need to use the force to crush its skull with that giant ass metal door.
-Jonathan
Bill Lawrence

Post by Bill Lawrence »

Yeah, that's what I thought. What I need to do is see if the Unibomber's old cabin out in the woods is still for sale and if so just completely drop off the grid (not that I want to blow anything up mind you). No doubt the NSA will be secretly taking photos of us all while attending the event and at some point even Obama will be reviewing score sheets just to make sure there is nothing untoward going on (ha, ha, that would seriously piss off old Leroy). :D
Remember, brewers make wort, only yeast make beer
BigWally

Post by BigWally »

Brian and I both have chiller plates in our jockey boxes, so that should be good enough to chill the beer. I can bring a big cooler to hold the kegs in if we want to put some ice on them, but since we'll be indoors that may be overkill.

Make sure that everyone who is bringing beer enters it on the Bluebonnet site and prints a BOL. Don't be a doofus like me, click on the Add them HERE link just above the Peoples Choice entry table.
Maybe the purpose of your life is to serve as a warning to others.
slackerlack

Post by slackerlack »

If were using the chiller plates, then yes, we will need to put the kegs on ice in your cooler.
-Jonathan
slackerlack

Post by slackerlack »

Updated list:

Jonathan Barrows - Black IPA
Jonathan Barrows - Imperial Black IPA
Brian Beyer - Pale Ale w/ randall
Melinda & Kim - Sour
Barrett Tillman - Berliner Weisse
Barrett Tillman - Farmhouse Saison
David - Cask ESB (not going on club kegerator)
David - Scottish Red Stout
David - IPA
Jimmy - One or Two mystery beers
Bill Lawrence - Oatmeal Stout
Walter - Roggenbier or Triple
Don - Saison
Don - Rauchbier
Chuck - IPA
Chuck - Alt
Leroy - Scottish 80/-
-Jonathan
TheMacheteMasher

Post by TheMacheteMasher »

Let the countdown begin!

Here are some details my brews

The Saison I am calling Jester's Crown. The beer is a 8.2% golden farmhouse (not sour) ale brewed January of 2013. The body is medium. The finish is smooth. The yeast was cultured up from Jester King's Gotlands Dricka. I think the beer is better than some commercial stuff but I am bias.

The Berliner I am calling Napoleon Shares. The beer is a 4.4% barrel fermented lightly sour ale. We brewed this on the big rig for the Feb. 8th brewday. The beer was first fermented in the barrel with Lacto then finished in stainless with my house sour bugs. I am lightly dry hopping a keg and force carbonating for BB2014.
Slicing up the mash -since 2011
slackerlack

Post by slackerlack »

Don't forget to print out a BOL form and bring it with you to the event along with your beers!
-Jonathan