Dry Hopping question

This is a place where people can ask questions about brewing. Hopefully, someone who is more knowledgable about brewing will respond.

Moderator: Jimmy Orkin

peccavi

Dry Hopping question

Post by peccavi »

I have traditionally dry hopped most of my hoppy beers and other than a slight added hop aroma, it doesn't seem like there is a huge difference.

Would it make more sense to maybe boil the hops for 10-20 minutes and then add the liquid? Or even add them to a liter of already boiled water cooled to around 150 degrees and let them steep and then just add the water in to the secondary fermenter? Seems like this would add more flavor and aroma.

I was just curious what you all thought about that.
BigWally

Re: Dry Hopping question

Post by BigWally »

I certainly wouldn't boil them for 10-20 minutes. You'd loose a lot of aroma in the steam. Are you placing your hops in a bag or letting them loose in the carboy? How long do you leave them in? What amount are you adding? Also, the age of the hops will make a difference. What varieties are you using?
Maybe the purpose of your life is to serve as a warning to others.
peccavi

Post by peccavi »

I use a hop bag and I leave them in for 2 weeks typically. I have used various hops (all pellet) usually columbus or cascade. I buy the hops at HBHQ at the same time as the rest of the ingredients, probably about 2 weeks before they are in the carboy. I use 2 ounces most of the time.

Edited to answer a missed question.
BigWally

Post by BigWally »

I think two weeks should be sufficient to extract the aroma and age is probably not your problem, especially if the hops you are using are in the sealed foil bags. However, the hop bag may be contributing to the problem. When I dry hop, I just toss the hop pellets in loose and then siphon carefully to avoid picking up too much hop material.

If you are kegging, you could try adding hops in the hop bag to the keg. Just be sure that you are boiling your hop bag before adding it to your beer. I'm talking about just the bag and not the bag with hops.
Maybe the purpose of your life is to serve as a warning to others.