November Brew Day

Discussions about beer, life, that sort of thing

Moderator: Jimmy Orkin

Brian B

November Brew Day

Post by Brian B »

Saturday November 2rd is the American Homebrewers Associations 15th annual Learn to Brew Day Starting at 9am. It is also the clubs next brew day. The brew day will be hosted at Dallas Home Brew, aka The Wine Makers Toy Store. I am looking for volunteers to brew at the event. There are so many ways to brew great beer and different types of systems to brew on. It can get over whelming to the new all grain or extract brewer. We will have people brewing on many different types of systems. If you are thinking about going all grain or making additions to you system this will be a great event to see multiple brewing systems in one place and ask questions about the systems.

To help encourage brewing at the event, Dallas Home Brew will provide Rahr 2 Row for the all grain brewers and Briess Golden light liquid malt extract for extract brewers brewing at the store that day. If you brew, you will still be responsible for specialty grains, hops and yeast. We will have electricity and water available. If you would like to brew at this event please let me know by email at [email protected] , respond to this post or call me at the store and let me know you will be brewing. The number is 866-417-1114. If you are not brewing stop by the store at 1500 N I-35E, suite 116 Carrollton TX 75006 and chat with brewers new and old.
TheMacheteMasher

Re: November Brew Day

Post by TheMacheteMasher »

Count me in. I will do an all grain brew.

I have no idea what. Thinking something for the Christmas Party. Competition season has pasted so time to brew "crazy shi#" as DEBC would say.

Slicing up the mash -since 2011
Bill Lawrence

Post by Bill Lawrence »

Myself and Mr. James (he of the award winning mild) will likely be brewing an IPA in a collaborative effort. We are currently in tense negotiations about exactly what we might attempt although I have a couple of ideas.

By the way Mr. Barrett, although the competitions are essentially done with for the year this is the time you folks should be worrying about the 2014 edition of the Bluebonnet. As for brewing wierd shit, well, those goals are not mutually exclusive. This year, my theme will be English beers. So far I have five beers brewed; a Northern English Brown, an English IPA, a bitter and I just did a brown porter last weekend. I also have a 1+ year old olde ale I plan to throw into the fray this year as I figure it has enough age to hopefully not be complete swill by now. I also hope to brew up an ESB (Old Thumperish) and some type of stout (maybe oatmeal). I just love playing with Ringwood ale yeast although that stuff can burn you if you are unlucky. :D
Remember, brewers make wort, only yeast make beer
TheMacheteMasher

Post by TheMacheteMasher »

Glad to see someone on the path of competition. I am aboard for the fight in 2014. A bit behind, my resolve for the coming year is to tame my brewing. I'd like to circle back to and brew my wining brews. I will plan a few crazy shi# brewdays as I find they are creative and just as challenging as competing by style. I will say that competing by style is more rewarding as there are many more medals to be had. I can make clean beers as well as some intentionally awful swill. By cleaning up my brewing I am focusing on a golden sour and a flanders. The rest of my brewing will be clean beers. I will continue to form my own recipes. I find it more challenging to brew my own ideas when shooting for style. My beers do not place as well but I learn much more about water, malt, hops, yeast and process. This weekend we are brewing the barrel project sour everyone is welcome at Wayne's place on Saturday we should be fairly festive.

I love those top cropping English Square yeast strands. They are fun to work with I have a love for Yorkshire & Ringwood the make silky beers for lack of a better word.

Slicing up the mash -since 2011
Jimmy Orkin

Post by Jimmy Orkin »

Great brewday. Thanks for having us Dallas Homebrew and Brian.
Jimmy Orkin
NTHBA Competitions Coordinator 2022
NTHBA Data Guy 2022