Revenge

Questions and discussions about competitions

Moderator: Jimmy Orkin

Bill Lawrence

Revenge

Post by Bill Lawrence »

Well the Limbo is over and although we had some good moments overall I would say we got savaged at our own competition. As I am not an officer anymore I don't know how big this club is but I was told by a knowlegable source that we managed a paltry 50 (plus or minus) entries out of a total of a bit more than 200. What's going on here, are we not interested in competitons any more? We had a good Bluebonnet back in the spring but things don't bode well for a repeat victory if we continue down this path. Incidentally, these comments are not aimed at any of you guys/gals that entered, just you slackers who didn't go to the trouble to put an entry into the competition. There is no shame in getting beaten but there certainly is shame if you neglect to enter. Maybe we need to get Scott Townsend to yell at you guys a little like in the old days; you know "gird you loins" and all that. And for you neophytes who have not yet entered a competition well the time is neigh. Competitions are much like sex; sure, you had no idea what you were doing the first time but you muddled through and had some fun, same thing here.

Ok so a couple of things need to happen. First we need to try and exact some revenge on those morally bankrupt, godless mothers from south Texas. Let's see if we can throw some entries into the Dixie Cup and at least snatch a couple of metals from those guys down there. Realistically I doubt we could win that competition but perhaps we could bloody a couple of noses and figuratively flip them the bird. Secondly and perhaps more importantly, each and every one of us needs to sit down and figure out what we are going to brew for the Bluebonnet next March. I personally make up a list of brews I want to do roughly 6 months in advance then start working through it. If you wait until the holidays before thinking about the Bluebonnet you have already "screwed the pooch". For you noobies; if you need help with a recipe or want to work on your technique just ask one of us long time members and we will try not to screw you up too badly. We need every one of you guys/gals out there to be successful, this is a team sport.

Finally some of you might be looking at these competitions and think "gee, the same guys always win, I don't have a chance". Well the reason these guys win alot is because they do two things; first they brew very good beer and secondly they enter more than just a beer or two. Can they be beaten? Oh hell yes, many in the club have done so on more than one occasion. Take some inspiration from Richard's well deserved win; if an aging biker/hippie can earn a best in show so can you with some diligent effort, get brewing.....rant off. :D
Remember, brewers make wort, only yeast make beer
BrewerDon

Re: Revenge

Post by BrewerDon »

Well said Bill.

I too would like to see more of our club members compete in ALL of the Lone Star Circuit competitions. The other competitions are just as easy to enter as when entering into the local competitions. In most cases, Einar picks up the entries from the local homebrew stores and drives them to the city where the competition is being held. When he can't do that, the club pays to ship the entries. What a great member benefit! I'm shocked that more members don't take advantage of this.

Our club is filled with great brewers. If we would get serious about competing we could win the Lone Star Circuit in 2014. It's my understanding that we used to win it regularly. What happened? I think it is because we stopped entering. I've looked through the results of past Lone Star competitions and a lot of you guys used to clean house all over the state. In the last 2 years since I've been doing these competitions it looks like our club shows up to the Blue Bonnet in force and then we make a decent showing at the Limbo and that's it. Why aren't more of you hitting the other competitions?

I say we all get together and decide that in 2014 we are going to take back what is ours. Let's make an effort to enter all of the Lone Star competitions. If we show up in force we have a really good chance of winning.

We just need to get out our calendars and plan our brewing for the next year and get started now. We have the talent. Let's do it!

Who's in for 2014?
RyanD

Post by RyanD »

Count me in, we aren't winning left and right but we have a couple medals to our name this year and hope to pick up another couple at Dixie. We will def be entering most every comp next year and hope the rest of the club will do the same.
BigWally

Post by BigWally »

I nominate Bill for Competition Coordinator. Who better to encourage us to "gird our loins" for competition?
Maybe the purpose of your life is to serve as a warning to others.
Bill Lawrence

Post by Bill Lawrence »

I knew when I posted that there was a chance one of my so called "friends" would come up with that. Unfortunately, I expect my job to tie up alot more of my time in the very near future so sadly I will not have time to serve. I can however show up at meetings and rag on everyone if you feel that would help. :D
BrewerDon

Post by BrewerDon »

Just a little clarification. Bill said that we got savaged in our own competition. I disagree. We should have done better but we didn't get savaged. Below are the medal counts. 3 pts for 1st, 2pts for 2nd, and 1 pt for 3rd place. Medal counts do not include best of show or our lawnmower catagory (this is the same way that the lone star circuit counts points).

NTHBA 23
Zealots 23
Mashronauts 16
Foam Rangers 11

I don't like that the Austin Zealots tied us for 1st at our own competition but I sure wouldn't say that we were savaged. Unfortunately we can't get revenge because the slackers in Austin don't put on a competition.

Who is our Lone Star Circuit representative? I think that the issue of Austin putting on a competition should be pushed!
Bill Lawrence

Post by Bill Lawrence »

Well "savaged" is a subjective term which I used mostly to get attention to the post. Really though, you should expect to win you own competition so it ain't too good to just tie. :D
Jimmy Orkin

Post by Jimmy Orkin »

Orlando is our current LSC representative.
Jimmy Orkin
NTHBA Competitions Coordinator 2022
NTHBA Data Guy 2022
Guerra

Post by Guerra »

Bill Lawrence wrote:Well the Limbo is over and although we had some good moments overall I would say we got savaged at our own competition.
BrewerDon wrote:Who is our Lone Star Circuit representative? I think that the issue of Austin putting on a competition should be pushed!
"Brewer Don" I am the LSC rep.

You guys have it all wrong.

How did the NTHBA get "savaged" when the NTHBA won the competition??

"Brewer Don" I am not sure how you are adding up the points, but you are incorrect. The NTHBA earned 24 LSC points, while Zealots got 20 points. The other clubs performed as follows: Bay Area Mashtronauts: 16 pts, Foam Rangers: 11 pts, Texas Carboys: 1 pt. As listed in the LSC web site.
BrewerDon wrote:Unfortunately we can't get revenge because the slackers in Austin don't put on a competition.
Actually the Austin Zealots do have a Homebrew Competition in June/July: http://www.austinzealots.com/inquisition

There have been discussions of bringing them into the LSC, but the “Inquisition” is not BJCP certified competition, so it does not fit into the “format” of the other LSC member competitions. The following is an excerpt from the web site:

"The Inquisition (contest) consists of 11 categories as described below, none of which are BJCP, AHA, or CIA certified. The judging of the beers, meads & ciders will be on a 100 point scale. Strict style guidelines will not be used; just enter your beer in the category that best fits its flavor. For once, let’s forget about guidelines & score the beer on how good it tastes and not downgrade a great beer because the color is a bit dark!"

A lot of folks have the misconception that the Lone Star Circuit is a “governing body”. Which is far from the case. The LSC can not mandate how a member competition is run.

Orlando
Orlando Guerra
"You Can't Drink All Day If You Don't Start In The Morning"
BrewerDon

Post by BrewerDon »

Orlando,
Thanks for checking my math. I mistakenly gave the Zealots an extra 4 points from the lawnmower category . It's good to know that we won!

Also, thanks for the information on the Zealots Home Brew competition with regard to the Lone Star Circuit. It still bothers me that they are so active in Lone Star Circuit competitions yet they do not put on a LSC sanctioned competition.

Even though, as you said, the LSC cannot mandate how member clubs run their competitions, I hope that as our representative, you will continue to encourage them to change the rules of their competition or better yet, hold a different competition that meets the LSC criteria.

Thanks again,
Don
Guerra

Post by Guerra »

BrewerDon wrote:Even though, as you said, the LSC cannot mandate how member clubs run their competitions, I hope that as our representative, you will continue to encourage them to change the rules of their competition or better yet, hold a different competition that meets the LSC criteria.
Don,

Did you know that the Zealots are not part of the LSC (i.e. they do not sponsor a competition)? As such they do not have a representation or a vote in the LSC?

It is difficult to influence a competition that is not part of the LSC.

I feel the “Inquisition” is the way the Zealots want it, so I do not foresee them making any changes to there competition. Nor do I think they will create a new competition just so they can fit into the LSC model. I attribute this to the whole "Keep Austin Weird" philosophy.

Orlando
Orlando Guerra
"You Can't Drink All Day If You Don't Start In The Morning"
BrewerDon

Post by BrewerDon »

Ok, now I get it. Thanks for clearing that up Orlando.
Bill Lawrence

Post by Bill Lawrence »

Oh hell Orlando, you engineers are all the same; stuck on the facts. Here's the thing; I wrote that post mostly from hersay and inuendo, I never bothered checking the numbers (actually I don't think they were out when I wrote it but whatever). When writing propiganda, facts are nothing but an annoyance, the best stuff completely ignores the facts. It was written to be provocative and hopefully motivate people to throw a couple of entries down to Houston. I just checked and apparently if I want my stuff down there I best get it together since they need to be a Kelly's on Saturday.
Jimmy Orkin

Post by Jimmy Orkin »

Bill, you shamed me into entering the Dixie Cup. I have three entries to burn an hour of their judging time.
Jimmy Orkin
NTHBA Competitions Coordinator 2022
NTHBA Data Guy 2022