2013 Limbo Challenge

Questions and discussions about competitions

Moderator: Jimmy Orkin

BigWally

2013 Limbo Challenge

Post by BigWally »

We will be at Jack Mac's Swill and Grill on Monday, June 10th for a planning meeting. If you are interested in helping out with the Limbo Challenge, please plan on attending.
Maybe the purpose of your life is to serve as a warning to others.
ejonsson

Re: 2013 Limbo Challenge

Post by ejonsson »

We had a planning meeting at Jack Mac's, on Monday, and here is what was discussed.

Attendees : Einar Jonsson, Tom Garner, Walter Hodges, Don Trotter, Barrett Tillman, Fred David, Kelly Harris

Login and judging will be held at Fred and Sue David's house again this year.

We settled on the following dates.

Online Registration : July 18 - August 1 (if you plan on coming to help with login, you can bring entries then)
Entries picked up : August 2
Login : August 3
Judging : August 10 - 11
Awards : August 24, Location : TBD

Awards location : We may return to Rugby House again this year, they've been great to us, but we are also looking into finding a location where we can bring homebrew. Stay tuned for more details on this.

Medal categories will remain the same as last year; no additions or changes.

We discussed the possibility of splitting the two largest categories from last year, "German Wheat, Belgian, and Sours" and "Fruit, Spice/Herb/Vegetable, and Other Smoked and Wood Aged Beers". It was decided to leave them alone this year, but revisit the possibility next year.

We discussed whether to set a cap on total entries this year.

We struggled to get the entries judged last year, due to a combination of high entry count, and low judge turnout. Last year, we had 240 entries, a record number for The Limbo. We will probably see a similar amount of entries this year. We are a large club, so it shouldn't be hard to get this competition judged in one weekend, but we do need the membership to turn out and support this.

We decided on no cap this year, but may consider it in the future, if we can't get enough judges to show up.
Einar Jonsson
Juicer82

Post by Juicer82 »

Registration for the Limbo is still not open. Shouldn't it be since entries are accepted starting today?
BigWally

Post by BigWally »

I'll open up this evening when I get home.
Juicer82

Post by Juicer82 »

Great. Thanks!
Bill Lawrence

Post by Bill Lawrence »

Well I got my entries ready to go yesterday. It's time to get trashed in yet another homebrew contest, I hope the rest of you guys and ladies are planning to get your entries in. We would hate to get beaten in our own contest by those godless hordes south of us. :D
Remember, brewers make wort, only yeast make beer
RyanD

Post by RyanD »

I'll be entering 3. I really really wanted to enter a 4th, but the Schwarzbier had to high of an OG, we were aiming right at 1.050, and somehow we hit nearly 1.060, not going to break the rules.
BigWally

Post by BigWally »

RyanD wrote:I'll be entering 3. I really really wanted to enter a 4th, but the Schwarzbier had to high of an OG, we were aiming right at 1.050, and somehow we hit nearly 1.060, not going to break the rules.
You can enter the beer, but if the judges determine the the gravity is too high they'll deduct points.
RyanD

Post by RyanD »

Based on taste I really don't think anyone would say it was over 1050. It isn't against the spirit of the comp or considered "cheating" if I enter it knowing it started over 1050? The goal was 1050 haha.
RyanD

Post by RyanD »

Oh, and I am planning to come help check in beers on the 3rd, so I will bring my entries there.

I also was going to volunteer to help steward the event if that is still needed, but I am not sure where to sign up.
captbill

Post by captbill »

I have two beers entered. Watch out Willy.
Bill Lawrence

Post by Bill Lawrence »

Well I assume that one of your entries will be your award winning Mild. Because that is such a sure thing to win a metal, I decided that I would concentrate my efforts elsewhere. This year I will be entering a CAP, Best Bitter, Calif. Common, Dort, Vienna Lager, Heffe and American Pale Ale. Of course I will likely get savaged again this year but you know; if you throw enough shit against the wall some of it may well stick. Five of the seven I'm entering are new to me, either styles I have never brewed before or just formulations I threw together off the top of my head so we will see how it goes. The CAP I made is extremely bitter, if I get slammed I'm blaming Orkin since he judged last year's effort and suggested I crank up the hops (and it's pretty close to being over the top). Of course I rather like it that way so if the judges pan the beer I'll pretty much just say "screw them" and just drink it myself (but then I always say that). The Vienna Lager is my standard formulation, I did that just so I could kiss up to Kim 'cause she liked it last time I made it. :D
Remember, brewers make wort, only yeast make beer