IPA Hoping Schedule?

This is a place where people can ask questions about brewing. Hopefully, someone who is more knowledgable about brewing will respond.

Moderator: Jimmy Orkin

TheMacheteMasher

IPA Hoping Schedule?

Post by TheMacheteMasher »

I am wondering what the going schedule is for hopping a single or double ipa?

The mystery is balancing bittering unit to specific gravity (BU:GU ratio). There are many triple digit IPAs with great hop flavor despite their expensive use of hops.

Can someone recommended a hopping schedule? I'd rather not toy around by just throwing hop$ in the boil.

After some research this is what I'm thinking:

OG 1.065 @ 85 IBUs

90 Min @ 30 IBUs
60 Min @ 15 IBUs
30 Min @ 15 IBUs
15 Min @ 20 IBUs
5 Min @ 5 IBUs
Equal Hop mass as 5 Min Addition @ Flame Out/Whrilpool
1/2 (5 Min Hop addition) mass @ Dry Hopping/2 Day or until satisfied

FG 1.012 @ 40+ FUs (my own term for Flavoring Units 15+20+5+dry)

Slicing up the mash -since 2011
RobDrechsler

Re: IPA Hoping Schedule?

Post by RobDrechsler »

This is a hop schedule from a Hercule's DBL ipa recipe

.25 oz Warrior @ 60 min (FWH)
.25 oz Simcoe @ 20 min
.50 oz Amarillo @ 20 min
.25 oz Centennial @10 min
.25 oz Chinook @10 min
.50 oz Amarillo @ 5 min
.25 oz Cascade @ 5 min
.25 oz Simcoe @ 5 min

1 oz Chinook (DH in secondary 14+ days)
1 oz Amarillo (DH in secondary 14+ days)
.5 oz Cascade (DH in secondary 14+ days)
Beer contains just a small amount of vitamins - that's why it's necessary to drink lot of it
RobDrechsler

Post by RobDrechsler »

and here's the Pliny the Elder hop schedule

Recipe provided by Vinnie Cilurzo

Columbus* 13.90% A.A. 90 min.
0.75 oz (21 g)
Columbus* 13.90% A.A. 45 min.
1.00 oz (28 g)
Simcoe 12.30% A.A. 30 min.
1.00 oz (28 g)
Centennial 8.00% A.A. 0 min.
2.50 oz (71 g)
Simcoe 12.30% A.A. 0 min.
1.00 oz (28 g)
Columbus* 13.90% A.A. Dry Hop (12 to 14 days total)
1.00 oz (28 g)
Centennial 9.10% A.A. Dry Hop (12 to 14 days total)
1.00 oz (28 g)
Simcoe 12.30% A.A. Dry Hop (12 to 14 days total)
0.25 oz (7 g)
Columbus* 13.90% A.A. Dry Hop (5 days to go in dry hop)
0.25 oz (7 g)
Centennial 9.10% A.A. Dry Hop (5 days to go in dry hop)
0.25 oz (7 g)
Simcoe 12.30% A.A. Dry Hop (5 days to go in dry hop)
*Tomahawk/Zeus can be substituted for Columbus
Beer contains just a small amount of vitamins - that's why it's necessary to drink lot of it
TheMacheteMasher

Building a Double IPA by Vinnie Cilurzo
https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/attachments/0000/6351/doubleIPA.pdf

"To conclude, a simple malt bill with a small crystal malt addition, a low mash temperature, a sugar addition in the boil, and a second dry hop addition are just a few things you can do to make a great
Double IPA. I’ve shared my own opinions, ideas and techniques that I employ when making Pliny the Elder. In the end, though, you need to make a beer that you want to drink. After all, that’s what homebrewing is all about!" Vinnie Cilurzo

Bill Lawrence

Post by Bill Lawrence »

I am currently in the middle of working on a single AIPA myself. I rigged up the bittering so that I would get around 60 IBU's or so in a 1.065 beer. I used Warrior for the bittering addition at 60 minutes from shut off then started adding flavor and aroma hops at 15 minutes from shut off, 10 minutes from shutoff, 5 minutes from shutoff and at shutoff. I plan to dry hop with an ounce each of Amarillo and Mozaic (this evening if I get motivated).

A couple things to think about; first of all, especially if you are using tap water I would use only low cohumolone hops if possible to keep the bitterness from getting harsh (because our water around here is moderately hard), secondly, I never dry hop more than 10 days (it's possible to get vegital flavors if you go longer). I also don't start adding hops until 60 minutes to shut down, going 90 minutes gets you very little additional bitterness and I have read it can also cause some off flavors. I personally wouldn't add 85 IBU's to a 1.065 beer, that will come off as extremely bitter especially if the beer is really dry, most commercial single IPA's are not that bitter. I am currently drinking an American pale ale that I dry hopped with an ounce each of Amarillo and Simcoe and it really reeks of hops (a good thing). A bigger beer will likely extract even more flavor and aroma as alcohol is a better solvent that water so I think two ounces will get the job done. Finally, when reviewing a hopping schedule for a beer made on either coast, remember those guys are likely using pretty soft water so they can get away with stuff we can't (unless you use RO water that is).

Later this summer, I'll make an American wheat beer which I plan to burst and dry hop the hell out of. Depending on how well I like the Mozaic I may use either that or perhaps Citra in combination with Amarillo. I have also been toying with the idea of trying to develop an American wheat IPA, we'll see if I get time to screw around with that. Beyer made a Zombie Dust clone, I really would like to try that since it features Citra. So many beers....so little time. :D
Remember, brewers make wort, only yeast make beer
TheMacheteMasher

I have a some hops on order to play around with hopping (need more time to brew). As for the water I will build up from RO something close to Dortmund water to smooth out the harshness. So the water will also enhance the malt sweetness. This should play well with the zing you get from late hop additions.
http://howtobrew.com/section3/chapter15-2.html

I have noticed long boils +90 min can really flatten the hop bitterness (can't tell which variety is in use). This aspect of a longer boil is welcomed so the beer may focus on the late kettle additions. I am thinking the schedule could use a light addition at 90 min with a the likes of Bravo Hops. Then bulk additions at with low c-hops at 45, 30, and 15 minutes to flame out. I don't dry hop often enough. After more reading I may try double dry hopping. The first round in secondary and the second round in the keg.

RyanD

Post by RyanD »

I know we tried it and I know a pro brewer in town with a great IPA really likes first wort hops for IPA's, gives you some hop flavor depth that is hard to describe or explain, but its worth a shot.