Off Flavors Tasting

Discussions about beer, life, that sort of thing

Moderator: Jimmy Orkin

RyanD

Off Flavors Tasting

Post by RyanD »

Chuck mentioned at the Craft & Growler meeting that he would be getting the off flavor kit from the BJCP people. Is there already a sign up for this class or an estimated date?
TheMacheteMasher

Re: Off Flavors Tasting

Post by TheMacheteMasher »

Chuck is building the list while waiting for the kit to arrive. Shoot him an email. PM heading your way.

When we did this last the class was pushed back for the kit. We were pretty much on standby. However, it was a great learning opportunity. The knowledge is handy when judging and valuable when evaluating your homebrew. There were a couple super tasters in the bunch who could pick up on slight flaws. For most some flaws may go undetected, and others unnerving. I dumped a sour after the class having learned the ugly nature of butyric acid. Stubble horsey notes were ok this was an all out assault. dump dump dump

Slicing up the mash -since 2011
EvilFrog

Post by EvilFrog »

TheMacheteMasher wrote:.

I dumped a sour after the class having learned the ugly nature of butyric acid. Stubble horsey notes were ok this was an all out assault. dump dump dump

A little off topic but all hope is not lost if you happen to end up with butyric acid. This is especially the case if it is a beer you intentended to be a sour. Brettanomyces can actually convert butyric acid into another compound (isoamyl butyrate) which actually has an agreeable flavor. Chad Yakobson from Crooked Stave Brewery was on a podcast where he discussed this. He really knows his stuff when it comes to brett.

Here is the podcast link if you are interested in listening. You may have to wade through some BS until the guest (Chad) comes on but it is worth it.
http://www.thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/866
TheMacheteMasher

Post by TheMacheteMasher »

EvilFrog Thanks for that wonderful barrel aged sour at Bluebonnet. The Brett did not help this beer. It was too far gone dumped it after a year of waiting. I should clarify this awful swill was a sour mash boiled at Chuck's brewday. I can still smell it now. :oops:

. Great podcast .
Slicing up the mash -since 2011
Bill Lawrence

Post by Bill Lawrence »

Well if you guys want some vile tasting swill, I can always accomodate you. :D
Remember, brewers make wort, only yeast make beer
RyanD

Post by RyanD »

Bill Lawrence wrote:Well if you guys want some vile tasting swill, I can always accomodate you. :D
haha, I think your new Bluebonnet Stein and medal would disagree.
Bill Lawrence

Post by Bill Lawrence »

Oh, even a blind squirel finds an acorn once in a while. Thing is, the nasty stuff never sees the light of day. :shock:
RyanD

Post by RyanD »

Bill Lawrence wrote:Oh, even a blind squirel finds an acorn once in a while. Thing is, the nasty stuff never sees the light of day. :shock:
I'm picturing a basement full of nasty bottles, full of bacteria and off flavors, built up over years and years of brewing, guarded by a small hunchback. If only we had basements in Texas.
Bill Lawrence

Post by Bill Lawrence »

That's the beauty of it, you don't even need to guard stuff like that.