Any interest in 5 gallon barrels?

Discussions about beer, life, that sort of thing

Moderator: Jimmy Orkin

RyanD

Any interest in 5 gallon barrels?

Post by RyanD »

This is purely hypothetical at this point, but Balcones Distillery in Austin uses 5 gallon oak barrels to age their blue corn whiskey. They sell the 5 gallon barrels to homebrewing.com. I want to try and cut out the middle man and get a few directly from Balcones, but I figure if we can get interest for 5 or more Balcones would take the offer more seriously. Homebrewing.com sells them for $89 plus $20 shipping and tax. I am hoping to get them for $75. I just wanted to gauge interest in the club before reaching out to Balcones. I will be in Austin next month so I could pick them up. Let me know, and remember it is hypothetical at this point, Balcones might say no. If that is the case I will ask homebrewing.com (also in Austin) if they'd cut us a deal and let me pick them up while I am down there.
EvilFrog

Re: Any interest in 5 gallon barrels?

Post by EvilFrog »

I actually have one of these barrels from Balcones and I am very happy with it. All the stave joints were nice and tight with no leaks. I have been kicking around the idea of getting a second one. If you can work something out with the distillery in the $75 neighborhood, I would be in.
peccavi

Post by peccavi »

I would be interested too.
Eric Sellers

Post by Eric Sellers »

I would be interested.
RyanD

Post by RyanD »

As a quick update I reached out to the website that sells them and they weren't interested in a group discount, so I have contacted Balcones directly. They responded and got me to the right contact, so I am just waiting to hear back from him. I'll let you all know what I find out.