Competition Brewing for 2013

Discussions about beer, life, that sort of thing

Moderator: Jimmy Orkin

TheMacheteMasher

Competition Brewing for 2013

Post by TheMacheteMasher »

I started preparing beers for competition. Pushed an English Bitter into the fermentor last week. I also brewed the Oktoberfest again yesterday.

Any other brewers coming out of hibernation for competition brewing? If not for competition for the love of home brewing.

We have some time remaining. Weeks Remaining:
7 weeks— Bluebonnet Brew-Off
10 weeks— Alamo City Cerveza Fest
13 weeks— Celtic Brew-off
Witbiers is the Style for the KGB in May

Slicing up the mash -since 2011
RyanD

Re: Competition Brewing for 2013

Post by RyanD »

I is I hoping to have 7 beers ready for Bluebonnet.

IPA
S'more Stout
2 versions of Barleywine
Bourbon oak aged Winter Warmer
Imperial Red
Schwarzbier
TheMacheteMasher

RyanD, Nice collection of big beers. I remember the S'more Stout taking awards in Dixie cup. The limit is one entry per-sub category so your brewpal may have to enter those :D

RyanD

Post by RyanD »

One per subcategory? Wow, I thought it was two, I hadn't read the details yet but that is what I had always seen for other competitions. That stinks, we want to enter as our team since we brew everything together.
billneumann

Post by billneumann »

Ryan

My suggestion -- if your brew partner is not a member - get him to join - if either of you win it--it will count for our club - you both know you are responsible -- it will help the club WIN -- would be nice to keep the trophy at NTHBA - I would be willing to put in a couple of $ for that. From A old fa_rt that has problems brewing at times - weather - cold natured - etc - and just old and two many other projects and no inclosed place to do brewing

Bill Neumann
RyanD

Post by RyanD »

We are both members. If we enter one as our team name can we enter a second as an individual? Or would we have to enter both as individuals since our names would be on the team entry? We'll get them in there, just hope we can get at least a point or two for the club.
billneumann

Post by billneumann »

You are getting to technical on a old man that is a newby in a way - wait till the BlueBonnet post rules - Fred David - one our past Presidents was in charge last year - See what they change if any -- then ask questions -- BUT GET BEER READY - if you do not enjoy bring to a brew day and all of us will -
Bill Lawrence

Post by Bill Lawrence »

As I do every year I plan to throw a few turds at the wall just to see what sticks. This year's entries will be:

Octoberfest
Abby Single (brewed this year with Munich malt because well, I'm an idiot but it tastes good)
Oud Bruin (some of the beer in this blend is over 3 years old)
Double Bock
Robust Porter (won my first Bluebonnet metal with this stuff but haven't made a batch in over 5 years, fell in love with Brown Porter)
Munich Helles
Munich Dunkel
English IPA (I came up with the recipe for this off the top of my head, when I brew it again I think I'll increase the bittering a mite)
Belgian Dubbel

and of course I "team brewed" with the Cougars and we made an Imperial Brown Porter with added vanilla, bourbon and I believe the ladies oaked it as well. My understanding is that it tastes great but I personally have not tried it yet. I really hope we win something with this one so we can make fools of ourselves at the awards ceramony but if not "screw it", myself and the ladies will just sit around and drink it.

I would just love to brew a Heffe but I likely won't get to that because of my knee surgery (I'll just do it for the Limbo instead this year). Anyway it will be interesting to see what happens, it's very easy to get "skunked" in this contest. The way I look at it, any time I can get a beer into the second round I consider it a win. The Bluebonnet has a way of making most brewers very humble.
Last edited by Bill Lawrence on Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Remember, brewers make wort, only yeast make beer
Bill Lawrence

Post by Bill Lawrence »

Oh and one other thing, the Bluebonnet website says that entries are being accepted starting the 20th of this month. My understanding after talking to Fred about this is that they are limiting entries to 1,500 this year (plus other rule changes to eliminate double entering as well as excessive entering). Since there were over 1,800 last year what this means is that we all need to enter early so as to ensure that our entries get into the contest.

Since double entering is now against the rules, hopefully the brewers will respect that and play by the spirit of the rules. Sure, you can get around that by say having your grandmother enter some of your beers but as of this year that is now not considered "sporting". It would be great if every entry was a unique beer and every brewer had the same chance to "metal". After all, no money changes hands here and nobody gets "laid" for winning (unless I missed something) so it's really just for fun, why bend the rules?
TheMacheteMasher

Nice line up Sir Lawrence. I am working behind the curve so now big beers from stash.

Started lagering the Oktoberfest last night it's softer but not any drier than the first batch.
I'm working on an ESB the hops are too German for this one.
Belgian Farmhouse (waiting for this one to carb up)
Berliner (super light needs more lactic zing)

So for now I am looking at entering Belgians.

Belgian Pale Ale
Belgian Blond

billneumann

Post by billneumann »

Is Stan going to be the guest speaker again this year? That is the way I read it. Great if so -- I enjoyed him last year. If not, I am sure who that have will be good.
Bill Neumann
Bill Lawrence

Post by Bill Lawrence »

I got all my entries entered and paid for so all I need to do is bottle three of my beers and I will be ready to go. I would not wait too long to get your entries in and paid for, I strongly suspect that the 1500 entry limit will come into play. It would be a real shame if a stein winner did not get his/her due because of procrastination. :cry:
BigWally

Post by BigWally »

Just entered a couple of more beers this evening. They are already over 300 entries since opening registration on Sunday. Get your entries registered. You can edit your entries up to 2/17.
Maybe the purpose of your life is to serve as a warning to others.
RyanD

Post by RyanD »

If anyone is interested registration for BrewRiot opened up today as well.

http://brewriot.com/

If you don't know about it, it's really similar to the Labor of Love we participated in at DEBC, you bring a 5 gallon batch of homebrew and everyone can sample it, but they all vote for the crowd favorite, and there is also judging like a normal competition.