What Category to enter in?

Questions and discussions about competitions

Moderator: Jimmy Orkin

RyanD

What Category to enter in?

Post by RyanD »

My brew partner and I have a couple beers that we are unsure what category to enter for Bluebonnet. I know we have time just wanting to get information ahead of time.

We have an Imperial Red, right at 8% ABV and around 60 IBU's. I am thinking 19A. Old Ale is about the only place I can put it other than Special.

The second one I am wondering on is a black IPA, does this have to go to Special? If so I probably won't be entering this one.
ejonsson

Re: What Category to enter in?

Post by ejonsson »

The Imperial Red is probably best entered as Specialty. It might pass for an Imperial IPA, but it would need an aggressive hop character to score well. Bring it to a brew day or tonight's party for a second opinion. I don't think it would score well as an Old Ale. While your beer is within the IBU and ABV ranges for a 19A, I don't think it would have the malt character or complexity that is expected for the style.

The Black IPA will have to be entered as Specialty, for now. Black/Cascadian Dark IPA might be added to the next version of the BJCP Style Guidelines, but there is no telling when we might see that. An update to the guidelines is needed and overdue.
Einar Jonsson