Labor of Love - Fest of Ales - DEBC - Discussion

Discussions about beer, life, that sort of thing

Moderator: Jimmy Orkin

TheMacheteMasher

Re: Labor of Love - Fest of Ales - DEBC - Discussion

Post by TheMacheteMasher »

Pappy I will be watching the board for that tap along with some of the other Unkowns.

. My offering is still burping. .

Slicing up the mash -since 2011
JHarrington

Post by JHarrington »

My five gallons is called Red Red Rose. Irish red ale aged on wine oak cubes and rose petals.
Bill Lawrence

Post by Bill Lawrence »

Hey Jimmy, will there be ice available or should we bring our own for serving? I figure I need a couple of bags for my jockey box.
Remember, brewers make wort, only yeast make beer
RyanD

Post by RyanD »

Bill Lawrence wrote:Hey Jimmy, will there be ice available or should we bring our own for serving? I figure I need a couple of bags for my jockey box.
I can tell you from volunteering there they don't have an ice machine, so you would probably be best served bringing ice.
Jimmy Orkin

Post by Jimmy Orkin »

Bill Lawrence wrote:Hey Jimmy, will there be ice available or should we bring our own for serving? I figure I need a couple of bags for my jockey box.
Bill,

I am just planning to take the club keggerator. If you want to serve your beer from your jockey box, you will need to bring your own ice.
Jimmy Orkin
NTHBA Competitions Coordinator 2022
NTHBA Data Guy 2022
Jimmy Orkin

Post by Jimmy Orkin »

I want to true up my list of donated beer. Please review this list and let me know if it is correct for you.

Are you still bringing beer? Quantity correct? Style correct?

I want to setup the assign beers to faucets with replacements.

Also, please make sure your beer will be as clear as you can get it. The kegs will get stirred up from transport and handling at the brewery. If you might have yeast settled in the bottom of your kegs, I suggest transferring to a second keg to leave the yeast behind.

Code: Select all

Handle           Name             Quantity         Committed        Style
geauxwillett     Barry Willett    1                Yes              Blonde Ale
slackerlack      Jonathan Barrows 1                Yes              Black IPA
Bill Lawrence    Bill Lawrence    1                Yes              American Wheat
theonlydavidlee  David Lee        1                Yes              Rosemary IPA
RyanD            Ryan Davidson    1                Yes              unknown
jedoug           Jeff Douglas     1                Yes              brown ale (Black Jack Brown)
JGraham          Graham Keefe     1                Yes              American Amber
JD-                               1                No               Pale Ale
Brian B          Brian Beyer      1                Yes              IPA
Dpmuckian        Dave Muckian     1                Yes              stout or an IPA
jlavin           Jim Lavin        1                Yes              Smokin's Aces
john.hereford    John Hereford    1                Yes              Dubble (bourbon barrel)
motorhead69      Michael Hood     1                Yes              farmhouse rye pale ale
davemayfield     Dave Mayfield    1                Yes              Kolsch or Wit
JHarrington      Jason Harrington 1                Yes              Irish Red with pose petals and oak
jimmyorkin       Jimmy Orkin      2                Yes              Tasty APA (Pliny Light), American Stout
ckiller          Chris Sealy      1                Yes              IPA
mgbeer           Mike Gallegos    1                Yes              Cascadian dark ale
kingsbrew        Leroy Gharis     1                Yes              American Wheat
landon           Landon Williams  2                Yes              American brown ale and a rosemary Porter
TheMacheteMasher Barrett Tillman  1                Yes              unknown
pappy            Larry Papkin     1                Yes              Saison 
Jimmy Orkin
NTHBA Data Guy 2022
Jimmy Orkin

Post by Jimmy Orkin »

Call for Beer Ambassadors. I am would like to have three people in front of the keggerator for the first two hours of the event and two people in front for the last two hours. These Ambassadors will help folks decide what beer they would like before they reach the keggerator. The lines for the brew-b-q were very long because people would get to person pouring and have a 5 minute discussion about the beers being poured.

I will print some sheets showing what beers are being poured so the Ambassadors will know whats pouring when. Einar is bringing a white board and an easel to post the pouring beers.

We also need two or three people pouring beers at the keggerator.

If we had 30 minute shifts through the evening, we would need 40 people with out repeats.

What do you think? Is there a better way to speed the pouring line? Are you willing to take a shift?
Jimmy Orkin
NTHBA Data Guy 2022
DeepEllumBrewEVENTS

Post by DeepEllumBrewEVENTS »

DEBC will have a few volunteers to help with pouring. Nonetheless, we would appreciate all the help we can get from you. We want you to talk your beer to your fans. Jimmy and I will have further information as the week progresses.
Very excited to have you all together at our brewery!
Zack Fickey
DEBC Event Ninja
[email protected]
john.hereford

Post by john.hereford »

I feel obligated to update my contribution from a "Dubbel" to just "Abbey style"; as I omitted the dark candy sugar it's more of a lightweight tripel than a double. Still Bourbon barrel aged... Test sample was delicious! I'm cold crashing & transferring kegs to help clarify over this week.

I'm happy to volunteer, but do we need to be TABC certified to serve? As I'm not, I think that'd relegate me to being a "beer ambassador". Best give me a shift early enough that I can offer sober advice. Errr... Semi-sober?
Bill Lawrence

Post by Bill Lawrence »

Oh, well to hell with my jockey box then, I'll just plug my keg into the club kegorator. Your information is correct, I'll be bringing my American Wheat so I don't even need to worry about it clearing (good planning huh?). Tried it yesterday and I think folks will like it, the late hops really work out well but the beer is not really bitter, just hoppy, good summertime brew. Yeah, I'll help you pour. :D

One thing you might think about, since the kegorator has 11 taps, if you can split the line at least a couple of ways by beer choice (say 5 choices on one side and 6 on the other) you can go much quicker without the pourers tripping all over themselves, just a thought.
Remember, brewers make wort, only yeast make beer
RyanD

Post by RyanD »

Jimmy, my beer is going to be a single hop Nelson Sauvin IIPA. 92 IBU's, 8.6% ABV.
RyanD

Post by RyanD »

Might not have a brew now....just got home and my keezer no longer had a temp probe in it and everything was frozen. Had 10 people over last night for Fantasy Football draft and someone somehow pulled the temp probe out of the keezer on accident. Lost close to $100 in commercial brew that exploded in there. The kegs are only partially frozen and should be ok once thawed, but I don't know if the Nelson IIPA will be as good as I hoped or carbed back up fully in time. I am going to do my best to have it there, I'll put the co2 way up once everything is fully thawed and test it in a couple days. I'm pretty upset about the whole situation, 15 other gallons of homebrew in there that just probably won't be very good.
ejonsson

Post by ejonsson »

Looks like there are 23-24 kegs committed for the event. The kegerator capacity is about 12-14 kegs. It would be wise to have some means of keeping the other kegs chilled while they wait on deck. Any ideas for this? Have buckets of ice on hand that they could sit in?
Einar Jonsson
Jimmy Orkin

Post by Jimmy Orkin »

We can use DEBC's cooler to keep the beer not in the keggerator cold.
Jimmy Orkin
NTHBA Data Guy 2022
ckiller

Post by ckiller »

Hi,

I ended up making a Nut Brown Ale for the event instead of an IPA. I hope that does not cause any issues.

What time do we need to arrive at DEBC?

Thanks
Chris