Labor of Love - Fest of Ales - DEBC - Discussion

Discussions about beer, life, that sort of thing

Moderator: Jimmy Orkin

motorhead69

Re: Labor of Love - Fest of Ales - DEBC - Discussion

Post by motorhead69 »

motorhead69 wrote:I can bring a keg of beer. I'm a pin-lock user as well, so let me know if I need to get my hands on a ball lock.
Mashing right now... I'm bringing a farmhouse rye pale ale.

-Michael
-Michael
groovyslick

Post by groovyslick »

thanks for all your work on this jimmy!
unfortunately because of work I wouldnt be able to make it down to DEBC before 7:30, so I am afraid I am gonna miss this one.

jason
Jimmy Orkin

Post by Jimmy Orkin »

I emailed the brewers bringing beer last night with the addresses you gave me or what you used to register for this forum. I have the malt and hops. I need to get it distributed to everyone. Please read the email and respond so I can get the donated ingredients to you.

I was unable to find a good email address for the person that uses the handle "JD-". JD- please PM me for detail on the ingredients.
Jimmy Orkin
NTHBA Competitions Coordinator 2022
NTHBA Data Guy 2022
landon

Post by landon »

Me and a buddy will be able to bring 2 kegs. One is an American brown ale and one is a rosemary porter.
RyanD

Post by RyanD »

So I just brewed by DEBC LOLFOA beer, loving the new acronym. I was going for a Nelson Sauvin Single Hop IPA, Beersmith unfortunately didn't have me use enough pre-boil mash/sparge water, and I only got 4.6 gallons into primary. With dry-hopping secondary I only expect to see 4 gallons go into the keg. It should be pretty awesome though, with the reduction in volume this has jumped up to a IIPA essentially, we're expecting 8.6 ABV and I designed it to be 92 IBU's, all Nelson Sauvin. Ooh, I'm also excited as this was my first adventure into first wort hopping.
Jimmy Orkin

Post by Jimmy Orkin »

Here is a quick update. I have seven bags of Pils malt and Bravo hops remaining for the folks bringing beer to the Labor of Love event. Please make arrangements with me to obtain those ingredients if you want them. Any not spoken for by the club meeting will be put in the Club Raffle.

We will need to move the club kegerator from Mike Grover's house to DEBC and back to Mike's on that Sunday, September 2. I would like a volunteer to take charge of moving the kegerator. I will take about 3 people to actually move the kegerator. I believe it takes a rental truck to move it. We will need a ramp to get the kegerator out and back into Mike's house. I believe Leroy is working on a ramp.

Will someone volunteer to transport the kegerator?

Thanks,

Jimmy
Jimmy Orkin
NTHBA Data Guy 2022
Bill Lawrence

Post by Bill Lawrence »

Well I brewed this weekend also and got my hop bursted American wheat going. If nothing else, this should be interesting as the stuff already reeks of hops and I haven't even done the dry hopping yet (and it will be agressive).

By the way there Ryan, those damn calculation programs can cause more problems. Why not just water your beer down a little to get your planned gravity? You would absolutely die laughing if you watched me plan brews. I work up the recipe on a piece of paper (using a pencil no less) and I just keep collecting wort until I hit a mark on my mash paddle, yeah it's crude but it works damn near every time. The only time I use those online calculators is when I am doing somthing new and I want to calculate bitterness quickly. Yeah, I can do that with a hand held calculator also but I'm lazy, what can I say? After I have brewed something one time I then start incrementally screwing with it until I get things where I want them taste wise and never bother doing calculations again. :D
Remember, brewers make wort, only yeast make beer
RyanD

Post by RyanD »

Well Bill, I guess that is why they say brewing is a combination of Science and Art. You are practicing the fine art of brewing, I'm still back at the science stage in many cases. I'm still new to the game so knowing how much to mash with and how much I need to sparge with is a guessing game without BeerSmith. I guess there is no reason not just use the old 1.25 quarts per gallon for the mash and then sparge until I hit the pre-boil volume I need. Maybe I'll start relying more on feeling and less on the computer here soon.
Bill Lawrence

Post by Bill Lawrence »

RyanD wrote: I guess there is no reason not just use the old 1.25 quarts per gallon for the mash and then sparge until I hit the pre-boil volume I need.
That is exactly what I am doing. However there is one caveat, make sure to control the ph while sparging otherwise you can over sparge and end up with tannins screwing up the taste. I do that by batch sparging and using the 5.2 stuff which is a buffer. That also keeps you from having problems if the sparge water gets over about 165F. Of course I learned all this stuff back in the "dark ages" before using computers and all that "new fangled" equipment.
Remember, brewers make wort, only yeast make beer
Jimmy Orkin

Post by Jimmy Orkin »

I got more information from Zack and DEBC:

Brewers get in free with each 5 gallon keg they bring.

Other NTHBA members can purchase tickets for $15.

The general price will be $20 in advance and $30 at the gate.

No food will be provided. Maybe food trunks.

On the homebrew beer, we will not have time for beer to settle after we setup. I suggest doing a keg to keg transfer for the beer you are donating. This is to drop out any remaining yeast that may have settled in your kegged beer. We want the beer to be clear. I am the worst offender with the yeasty Hefeweizens.
Jimmy Orkin
NTHBA Data Guy 2022
TheMacheteMasher

LOLFOA +one

Post by TheMacheteMasher »

Please added me to the list of homebrewers bringing beer.

I will brew today and bring a corny to the event.

We shall see how things go today.

.. on stand by ..
I have a Trappist Rye on and the "Shoot Me Twice Mild". You have seen this recipe in our May Newsletter. This batch was kettle caramelized.

It will be interesting to see what we come up with as homebrewers.

Slicing up the mash -since 2011
Jimmy Orkin

Post by Jimmy Orkin »

The tickets for the event are on sale now. They can be purchased at this site:

http://festofales.eventbrite.com/

Those that bring a 5 gallon corny with 5 gallons of beer in it get in free, everyone else is $15.

Jimmy
Jimmy Orkin
NTHBA Data Guy 2022
Jimmy Orkin

Post by Jimmy Orkin »

The tickets for NTHBA will be $10. I don't know the details yet so hold off on buying tickets. DEBC is asking for a count of NTHBA folks going. I am going to tell them 35.
Jimmy Orkin
NTHBA Data Guy 2022
Jimmy Orkin

Post by Jimmy Orkin »

I sent an email to the membership with the link for the NTHBA member tickets. If you do not get the email, please contact David Lee at [email protected] to work out the problem with your email address.

The link is for NTHBA members only. Please do not forward the discounted link. I asked for 35 slots. If we exhaust that count I will ask for more.
Jimmy Orkin
NTHBA Data Guy 2022
Pappy

Post by Pappy »

Meant to post a while ago but life got in the way. I will be bringing a keg of wit fermented with a saison yeast and cracked black pepper added. Sounds like it will be a great event. I'm looking forward to it.

Larry