Labor of Love - Fest of Ales - DEBC - Discussion

Discussions about beer, life, that sort of thing

Moderator: Jimmy Orkin

john.hereford

Re: Labor of Love - Fest of Ales - DEBC - Discussion

Post by john.hereford »

Sounds like fun, I'd be willing to bring a 5 gal keg of homebrew as well. I will have to think about which to take though... I want to drink them all myself...
groovyslick

Post by groovyslick »

WOW its great to see so much participation for this event!!
I would be down for joining in the fun, but like everyone else, I am interested in the peticulars.

1. Do I take my keg home with me when I leave?
2. How will the ingredient donation happen?
3. How big of an event will it be?
4. what is the plan for cooling and CO2 for the homebrew?
5. Can we accomodate both ball-lock and pin-lock kegs?

Also has anyone stepped up to take on the big brew batch for this weekend? I can host it, and help brew, but as you all know my wee little car cant get it over here. Also I will be at HBHQ tomorrow and can pick up supplies. If anyone else is willing to help get the rig over here I say lets do it!!!!!! email me at groovyslick @ yahoo to coordinate.

thanks

jason
motorhead69

Post by motorhead69 »

I can bring a keg of beer. I'm a pin-lock user as well, so let me know if I need to get my hands on a ball lock.
-Michael
Jimmy Orkin

Post by Jimmy Orkin »

I was envisioning this as pouring with picnic faucets out of kegs. As I think about it, it would be a good use of the club kegerator. Beyond the 12 faucets of the kegerator we could use jockey boxes or the picnic faucets.

On the issue of do you get your kegs back, you will take your kegs with you when you leave the event.
Jimmy Orkin
NTHBA Competitions Coordinator 2022
NTHBA Data Guy 2022
davemayfield

Post by davemayfield »

I would like to bring a keg of Kolsch or Wit. Thank you.
JHarrington

Post by JHarrington »

I'll bring a keg as well.
Jimmy Orkin

Post by Jimmy Orkin »

Here is the list of brewers I currently have:
  • Brewer Amount Style
    geauxwillett 1 Keg Blonde Ale
    Jonathan Barrows 1 Keg unknown
    Bill Lawrence 1 Keg Maybe unknown
    David Lee 1 Keg kolsch , pale or wheat
    RyanD 1Keg Maybe unknown
    Jeff Douglas 1Keg brown ale (Black Jack Brown)
    Graham Keefe 1 Keg American Amber
    JD- 1 Keg Pale Ale
    Brian Beyer 1 Keg unknown
    Dave Dpmuckian 1 Keg stout or an IPA
    Jim Lavin 1 Keg Smokin's Aces
    john.hereford 1 Keg unknown
    motorhead69 1 Keg unknown
    davemayfield 1Keg Kolsch or Wit
    Jason Harrington 1 Keg unknown
    Jimmy Orkin 2 Kegs Tasty APA (Pliny Light)
This is gives up 15 confirmed 5 gallon Kegs and 2 maybes.

Bill Lawrence will loan us a jockey box.

We need beer in corny kegs, either pin lock or ball lock. Please bring a faucet so we can pour your beer directly from the keg if we need to.

We are going to bring the club kegerator. The kegerator is going to be refit with flare fitting to allow changing the connectors to pin lock or ball lock as needed.

You will bring your kegs about 5:00 PM to get setup. I will work the exact time with Zack.

You will take your kegs home with you at 10:00.

Zack assures me that this will not be as large as the Brew-B-Q. Also, No big tables.

I am going to ask DEBC 10 lbs of malt and 3 ounces of hops per 5 gallons of beer, 15 times 5 gallon kegs equals 150 lbs of base malt and 30 ounces of hops. I don't know what hops we get. You can brew with this malt and hops or use them for your next batch.

More on that after I talk to Zack.

If we have more commitments, I will ask Zack for more ingredients.

I am hoping I can drive down and pickup the malt and hops Friday or this weekend. I'll figure out someway of distributing the ingredients. I may have you come to my house in Carrollton at an arranged time.

Here are Jason's questions:

1. Do I take my keg home with me when I leave? Yes.
2. How will the ingredient donation happen? See above.
3. How big of an event will it be? The Brew-B-Q was huge. Zack is saying this will be smaller.
4. what is the plan for cooling and CO2 for the homebrew? The club kegerator will host 12 taps, one jockey box with 2 taps. Beyond that will be kegs in buckets with ice and picnic faucets.
5. Can we accomodate both ball-lock and pin-lock kegs? We will refit the club kegerator to support both. Please bring some faucet with your kegs to in case the kegerator and jockey box are full.

I hope you read down this far. At the Brew-B-Q, the lines for the guest beers were very slow. People were asking the pourers about the beers and take 1 or 2 minutes per pour.

My plan is to have some Homebrew Ambassadors in front of the kegerator explaining the beers and helping the guests decide on a beer before they reach the kegerator. Hopefully the the pourers will just be pouring and this will speed the lines.

More as I know it.
Jimmy Orkin
NTHBA Data Guy 2022
RyanD

Post by RyanD »

Thank you for all the information Jimmy. You can move me to a definite yes instead of a maybe.
I will brew up a Single Hop Nelson Sauvin IPA.

One more question, I have a brew-partner and we split all costs, responsibilities etc, will bringing one 5 gallon keg get us both in free?

I am also volunteering at DEBC saturday so if you decide to come pick up supplies then and need help I can help you out.
Jimmy Orkin

Post by Jimmy Orkin »

Ryan,

The current thinking is one person per 5 gallons of brew.

I'll add you to the malt/hops ask now up to 16 sets of 5 gallons.

Jimmy
Jimmy Orkin
NTHBA Data Guy 2022
ckiller

Post by ckiller »

Hi,

I am new to the board, but am looking forward to participating in this event. I am happy to bring 5 gallons of an IPA.

Please let me know details as the plan evolves.

Thanks
Chris
john.hereford

Post by john.hereford »

If we can collect information a bit beforehand, would it be possible to have a pamphlet / big board describing beers? Then people could examine the information while in line, and talk to the brewers after they have a beer for more info.

I'd recommend this for two reasons:
1) The information is consistent for all patrons (I get more and then less descriptive as I continue to drink).
2) I would likely prefer drinking other beers and talking to other brewers than being stuck describing my own brew all night... I can drink my beer anytime, not so with other's homebrews.

To update my contribution: I hope to bring a bourbon barrel aged Dubble (heracy, I know...) but that's still under fermentation, so if it doesn't turn out I'll sub in an Oktoberfest (which will just be done lagerIng).

How soon do we have to commit to what we will bring?

Follow up question: do we get priority to buy tickets for significant others and/or friends who don't homebrew?
Jimmy Orkin

Post by Jimmy Orkin »

John,

I am thinking we get a couple of white boards on easels where we can put the name of the beer, hints to the flavor and an experience level (beginner, intermediate and experience drinker). I do want the Ambassadors to taste all the beers and make some notes to help remind them about the beer. We could probably use 5 to seven of these Ambassadors combing through the homebrew lines educating the unwashed masses (look a Bill Lawrence like wording).

I think the homebrewers should hit the DEBC beer early leaving the homebrew for the non-brewers. Later in the evening, the brewers can go after the homebrew. It don't think this is a big sacrifice as the DEBC beer is really good.

I'll update your contribution information to the Dubble. I would like to finalize the beer list no less than two days before the event, August 31.

On priority tickets, I don't anticipate the event selling out extremely quickly. That said, I would purchase needed tickets soon after they go on sale. I'll ask Zack if we can get first notification when the tickets go on sale.
Jimmy Orkin
NTHBA Data Guy 2022
Jimmy Orkin

Post by Jimmy Orkin »

Update on the DEBC ingredients:

I asked for malt/hops for the 16 committed batches. I am hoping to pick them up Monday after work. We will arrange disbursement . It might be out of my house in Carrollton or out of my car through next week.

I will be PMing the committed folks that I need an email address for. So be looking for that PM.
Jimmy Orkin
NTHBA Data Guy 2022
mgbeer

Post by mgbeer »

Hi Jimmy,

I can bring 5 gallons of Cascadian dark ale.
kingsbrew

Post by kingsbrew »

I will bring a keg of American Wheat.
Leroy