Labor of Love - Fest of Ales - DEBC - Information

Discussions about beer, life, that sort of thing

Moderator: Jimmy Orkin

Jimmy Orkin

Labor of Love - Fest of Ales - DEBC - Information

Post by Jimmy Orkin »

Deep Ellum Brewing Company has approached the NTHBA about holding an event at the Deep Ellum Brewery on September 2nd from 6:00 to 10:00PM. The focus will be on Homebrew Beer. The event will be called "Labor of Love - Fest of Ales". This does not exclude lagers.

The planning for the event is just starting but here is what is being discussed. Admission will be $25 and will include souvenir glass, concert, and complimentary samplings and food. The entertainment will be "Boys Named Sue".

If you bring 5 gallons of homebrew, you get free admission. DEBC will also donate base malt and hops to defray the cost of brewing for the event.

I need to get a count of brewers willing to bring homebrew to the event. I am hoping for a large turnout.

Please post to the club forum topic your intentions. I will document the details for this event on the forum in the discussion topic.

There is a possibility to use Wayne's Big50 system this Saturday to get 8 or so batches going this weekend, Saturday the 28th. We will need to move fast to pull off a Big50 brew by this weekend.

Please go to the forum at the link below to discuss the topic:

http://www.nthba.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1350

At this point I need to get a count of brewers willing to bring beer to the event. Please post any questions or suggestion to the forum discussion thread located here: http://www.nthba.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1350

Thanks,

Jimmy
Jimmy Orkin
NTHBA Competitions Coordinator 2022
NTHBA Data Guy 2022
Jimmy Orkin

Re: Labor of Love - Fest of Ales - DEBC - Information

Post by Jimmy Orkin »

Re: Labor of Love - Fest of Ales - DEBC - Discussion

Postby jimmyorkin on 26 Jul 2012 11:40
Here is the list of brewers I currently have:
  • Brewer Amount Style
    geauxwillett 1 Keg Blonde Ale
    Jonathan Barrows 1 Keg unknown
    Bill Lawrence 1 Keg Maybe unknown
    David Lee 1 Keg kolsch , pale or wheat
    RyanD 1Keg Maybe unknown
    Jeff Douglas 1Keg brown ale (Black Jack Brown)
    Graham Keefe 1 Keg American Amber
    JD- 1 Keg Pale Ale
    Brian Beyer 1 Keg unknown
    Dave Dpmuckian 1 Keg stout or an IPA
    Jim Lavin 1 Keg Smokin's Aces
    john.hereford 1 Keg Dubble (bourbon barrel)
    motorhead69 1 Keg unknown
    davemayfield 1Keg Kolsch or Wit
    Jason Harrington 1 Keg unknown
    Jimmy Orkin 2 Kegs Tasty APA (Pliny Light)
This is gives up 15 confirmed 5 gallon Kegs and 2 maybes.

Bill Lawrence will loan us a jockey box.

We need beer in corny kegs, either pin lock or ball lock. Please bring a faucet so we can pour your beer directly from the keg if we need to.

We are going to bring the club kegerator. The kegerator is going to be refit with flare fitting to allow changing the connectors to pin lock or ball lock as needed.

You will bring your kegs about 5:00 PM to get setup. I will work the exact time with Zack.

You will take your kegs home with you at 10:00.

Zack assures me that this will not be as large as the Brew-B-Q. Also, No big tables.

I am going to ask DEBC 10 lbs of malt and 3 ounces of hops per 5 gallons of beer, 15 times 5 gallon kegs equals 150 lbs of base malt and 30 ounces of hops. I don't know what hops we get. You can brew with this malt and hops or use them for your next batch.

More on that after I talk to Zack.

If we have more commitments, I will ask Zack for more ingredients.

I am hoping I can drive down and pickup the malt and hops Friday or this weekend. I'll figure out someway of distributing the ingredients. I may have you come to my house in Carrollton at an arranged time.

Here are Jason's questions:

1. Do I take my keg home with me when I leave? Yes.
2. How will the ingredient donation happen? See above.
3. How big of an event will it be? The Brew-B-Q was huge. Zack is saying this will be smaller.
4. what is the plan for cooling and CO2 for the homebrew? The club kegerator will host 12 taps, one jockey box with 2 taps. Beyond that will be kegs in buckets with ice and picnic faucets.
5. Can we accomodate both ball-lock and pin-lock kegs? We will refit the club kegerator to support both. Please bring some faucet with your kegs to in case the kegerator and jockey box are full.

I hope you read down this far. At the Brew-B-Q, the lines for the guest beers were very slow. People were asking the pourers about the beers and take 1 or 2 minutes per pour.

My plan is to have some Homebrew Ambassadors in front of the kegerator explaining the beers and helping the guests decide on a beer before they reach the kegerator. Hopefully the the pourers will just be pouring and this will speed the lines.

More as I know it.
Jimmy Orkin
NTHBA Competitions Coordinator 2022
NTHBA Data Guy 2022