WILD FERMENTATION, WOW!!!

Discussions about beer, life, that sort of thing

Moderator: Jimmy Orkin

Dragon Slayer

WILD FERMENTATION, WOW!!!

Post by Dragon Slayer »

I Brewed a Scotch Ale and pitched a 500ml starter at 8:00pm Sunday onto a five gallon batch in a 6.5 gallon carboy. Afixed an airlock and placed it into my fermentation chest at 62 degrees. I noticed that a kraeusan appeared after 1 hour. Saturday morning around 9:00am I looked to see what progress of my Scotch Ale had made overnight. The kraeusan was a several inches thick.

Later, about 1:00pm, I decided to check the gravity of another Pale Ale that was also in the fermentation chest. Well, To my astonishment, the Scotch Ale was bubbling up through the airlock. So I quickly configured a blow-off set up to remedy my problem. The ferment is so vigorous that I can hear it bubbling away from inside my fermentation chest.

Has anyone had such a vigorous fermentation?

On another note, The other Pale Ale is almost ready to keg and the sample I took for measurement was mighty tasty![8D]
Mike Grover

Post by Mike Grover »

I've had that happen but only with hefe yeast. I've had some other ales come close, but not quite make it to the airlock.
JBL

Post by JBL »

I've had blowoff out of a 6.5 gallon carboy plenty of times. High starting gravities are a factor but so is the yeast strain, along with temperature and how much wort you start with (duh...). Like Mike says, I've seen it every time I've used Wyeast 3086. Don't think I've ever seen it with 1056. I know I've seen it on other strains, but that's something I haven't kept notes on.