BIG50 Batch #4

Discussions about beer, life, that sort of thing

Moderator: Jimmy Orkin

donniestyle

BIG50 Batch #4

Post by donniestyle »

Okay, I posted to #3 and nobody sniffed the thread. I asked if we could do an Oktoberfest that we could have for the NTHBA Annual Oktoberfest Party. We could have a taste off, and a peoples choice award. Just asking. Is this thing turned on, or is it just me? Funny, it sounds like AACHTOBERFEST!
Is your beer intimate, hand crafted, and artisanally made?
MixnMatchBrew

Re: BIG50 Batch #4

Post by MixnMatchBrew »

Donnie,

April 7th brew day I am not available to move the rig.
Einar wanted to do a brew day then so I'm trying to work something out to get the rig there.
Bargainfittings.com

Past President, NTHBA (2011)
[email protected]
theonlydavidlee

Post by theonlydavidlee »

The club has a bunch of extract left over and I thought it would be cool to do a big batch extract with a partial mash... Jason Starns and I wanted to brew a (Amber) Red Ale. Just a thought, maybe at the next brewday, b/c we need to use this malt and a big batch would do the deed.

-David-
MixnMatchBrew

Post by MixnMatchBrew »

David, how much extract is left over?
Bargainfittings.com

[email protected]
theonlydavidlee

I think we calculated approximately 70+ lbs of extract. Pale LME
MixnMatchBrew

Post by MixnMatchBrew »

David,

How about posting a recipe here. I should be able to bring the rig to the next brew day.
Bargainfittings.com

[email protected]
Bill Lawrence

Post by Bill Lawrence »

I say Donnie has a good idea. I'm not sure how well it would work out to brew an Octoberfest in the giant rig but it would be fun to have a bunch of homebrewed Octoberfest bier at the annual party. Actually, to make it even better, we could make up both some Octoberfest as well as some Helles, it's my understanding that in Munich they actually quaff more Helles than they do traditional Octoberfest. I personally think it seriously sucks that a homebrew club can't scare up enough traditonal homemade German bier for our annual Octoberfest party, we really need to remedy that situation I think. So, I'll commit to making a 5 gallon batch of traditional Octoberfest and if I can work it into my production schedule I'll also do a Helles (I probably can since it's one of my favorites). How many of you other pantywastes out there care to make a lager or two (yeah, it's a bit harder but after all, we are professionals)? Anyway, post up, let's see if there is any interest. I would also point out to you new folks out there that learning to make lagers will almost certainly make you a better brewer because screw ups in technique will end up in the glass and in my humble opinion, traditional Octoberfest is pretty difficult to make really well. I'll throw one more thing out there for you neophytes; I plan to start a cycle of lagers in a couple of weeks for the Limbo and if you want to watch me do one you can come over and see what's involved (I'll probably do a Vienna lager first then a CAP so you could also get a laugh while I try to do a decoction or ceral mash). I'm certainly not holding myself out as any sort of expert or anything and I won't lecture your young asses but I've made a few batches in my time and you will hopefully learn a couple of things (and I would caution you to ignore some of my bad habits and never, ever look into my mashtun). Anyway, if there is any interest post up, we can then work something out informally.
Remember, brewers make wort, only yeast make beer
MixnMatchBrew

Post by MixnMatchBrew »

Bill,

I'm up for another stab at a fest beer. I like helles and marzens in general.
I think this is one of the harder beers to do very well..... at least that is my personal experience brewing them.

There is no reason we can't do both the extract and ocktoberfest on the rig the same day other than getting people to commit to taking that much beer.
Bargainfittings.com

[email protected]
Bill Lawrence

Post by Bill Lawrence »

I am personally very leary of making beers like that on a rig I have no experience with. Furthermore, I like to decoct German beer and I can not imagine trying that when dealing with that much grain (and doing a ceral mash with 20% corn grits, no way). What I could do however is show new people how I do lagers on my system and then they could hopefully take what they learned and adapt that to their own personal situations. It would seem to me that the giant system would be much better for ales which require infusion mashing techniques. One thing I do when making lagers is to drop the wort temperature down to as close to 50F as I can get, I know I don't have the equipment to deal with 50 gallons of boiling wort, the thermal mass is just way too big. As far as messing around with extracts; since I haven't done an extract brew in maybe as much as 15 years, frankly, I wouldn't know what the hell I was doing.

Anyway, I notice that the Cap and Hare are having a German bier competition which looks like it is scheduled for mid August (why then I couldn't possibly imagine but nobody died and made me King). Anyway, if we can get a few of our guys "trained up", maybe some of our folks can win some ribbons and at the same time get stuff ready to quaff at the Octoberfest party (you boys/girls do plan to lager the stuff for at least a month or two, right?). Incidentally, besides Helles there are several other lagers which qualify for entry into the Limbo so the skills learned should hold everyone in good stead.
Remember, brewers make wort, only yeast make beer
MixnMatchBrew

Post by MixnMatchBrew »

Bill,

Decoction on the big rig would be fun. Nothing different other than the scale.

I have a 20 gallon kettle we can decoct in off to the side.
Bargainfittings.com

[email protected]
mtodd

Post by mtodd »

And of course the Dixie Cup is in October so you could always enter those beers in Houston.
donniestyle

Post by donniestyle »

If I had my druthers, I'd do a Negro Modelo clone. Second would be Helles. Third would be Marzen. I would not want to use any extract on them. If extract is used (90 pounds?), I'd suggest American Barleywine, Wee Heavy, or Imperial Russian Stout, and all at the top end of the range. Just my 2pw. EDIT: Maybe a DFH120 clone?
Is your beer intimate, hand crafted, and artisanally made?
theonlydavidlee

Well we don't have any extract left... going to let Kelly sell it and just pay for what we used. I could still be willing to brew if no one else has stepped up. I would like to brew a Kolsch.

Kold Killa (Kolsh Style)
-------------------------------
92.5lbs - Kolsch Malt (Global Malt) or Weyermann Pilsner Malt (100%) ** that seems like too much malt **

Perle or Hallertauer (Bittering)
Tettnang or Hersbrucker (Aroma)
Overall Bitterness @ 22 IBU

Single Infusion Mash @ 145F (60 minutes)
Sparge @ 170F

Boil (90 minutes)

Ferment Suggested @ 64F with
MixnMatchBrew

Post by MixnMatchBrew »

I will be bring the rig to the next brewday. David Lee will be brewing a kolsch and will be in charge of running the brewday etc.

Look for RSVP instructions. Most likely this will be done on our Meetup page.

55 gallon kettle so 45 gallon batch is probably the largest realistic size so we have to some headroom to boil.

We can run off a bit extra if someone wants to boil their own batch..
Bargainfittings.com

[email protected]
MixnMatchBrew

Post by MixnMatchBrew »

Brew day went very well. Thanks David for being the brewmaster for our big rig brew #4

My portion will not be a Kolsch. I decided to pitch 3711 French Saison yeast.
I picked up a fresh smack pack and it was puffed up almost before I got home so we shall see how it goes.

What did you pitch on your share?
Bargainfittings.com

[email protected]