New Member here

Discussions about beer, life, that sort of thing

Moderator: Jimmy Orkin

jdaylett

New Member here

Post by jdaylett »

Hello all, I've been a member for a few weeks now, but I haven't been to any meetings or events. I just bottled my third homebrew, a chocolate milk stout, and hope to brew many many more in the near future (despite a minor setback involving a shattered carboy). I am planning on coming out to the meeting next Tuesday at The Allen Wickers Pub, and just wanted to get my name out there beforehand. What can I expect from the club meetings and events? Are we allowed to bring homebrew samples to meetings?
Anyways, I'm really excited to be a part of this community, and hope to see some of you soon!
-Jonny
BigWally

Re: New Member here

Post by BigWally »

Welcome to the club!

The club meetings are quite informal. We'll have a few minutes of official business where the president and other officers will discuss upcomming events, but mostly the meetings are social.

Unfortunately, there are few locations that allow us to bring homebrew to the meetings. It's a TABC thing. The best opportunities to share homebrew are at the monthly brewdays. March does not have a brew day because of the Bluebonnet Brew-Off and we skip December because of the holidays. All the other months have a brewday.

We are looking forward to meeting you.
Maybe the purpose of your life is to serve as a warning to others.
Bill Lawrence

Post by Bill Lawrence »

Actually, you have joined the flock at exactly the right time as we are doing the "Bluebonnet" thing. If you want to meet people and learn a ton about beer, get involved in judging this coming weekend (details elsewhere on the forum). I can almost hear you saying "but I am only a neophyte, I have no idea how to judge beer". Well, be not afraid, they will pair you up with somebody who has done it a few times. If a moron like me can do it, anybody can. This may seem obvious but you can not hope to make good beer if you don't know how to pick out flaws in beer or what the really good stuff tastes like and the best way to learn that is to help judge. Also of course, I would recommend attending the event itself, even if you don' have any entries. It's sort of like the "Disneyland of beer drinking" and all for a reasonable price. Oh, by the way, rent a room out there, you don't want to drive after partaking. :D
Remember, brewers make wort, only yeast make beer
iledford

Post by iledford »

Well hello there! I would like to welcome you to the forum though I am new here as well! It really is great to have something like this working which should be significant and helpful to those which are going to start with it, just right.

It would interesting to see how the brewed recipes are going to be working with what is needed and how they are going to be made available.
TheMacheteMasher

Post by TheMacheteMasher »

Welcome new member iledford!

Which styles of beer are your favorite to brew? I've been brewing a short time. I am learning fast but I find there's more books, recipes, and brewing process than one can digest.

Brewing for me is for fun.

Slicing up the mash -since 2011
linakhan988

Post by linakhan988 »

nice to meet you jdaylett.. i am also a new member here. & i wish to join your community as well. :roll:
TheMacheteMasher

Post by TheMacheteMasher »

Welcome linakhan988 what part of the metroplex are you located? There are several communities to get plugged in. I am in the eastern portion.

Slicing up the mash -since 2011
RyanD

Post by RyanD »

Why are we getting these bots posting here? Seems weird. That message right before mine is almost a carbon copy of the one above from last year, very strange.
Jimmy Orkin

Post by Jimmy Orkin »

I deleteted the bot looking poster. It is not a bot as the registration process requires you to authenticate via email.
Jimmy Orkin
NTHBA Competitions Coordinator 2022
NTHBA Data Guy 2022