Another local brewery plans to open

A place to post info about local beer related events and to organize meet-ups for these events. IE - Addison Oktoberfest or a new beer bar.

Moderator: Jimmy Orkin

BigWally

Another local brewery plans to open

Post by BigWally »

From the Dallas Morning News:

Partners lease space in West Dallas for beer brewing venture

Heads up: A team of local beer brewers is looking to tap into the promise of a new West Dallas.

The creators of Four Corners Brewing Co. have leased space in the 400 block of Singleton Avenue near the Margaret Hunt Hill Bridge. They are awaiting a state permit to operate and are seeking a relatively minor city zoning change.

And they hope that by Labor Day they’ll be hopping to it, delivering kegs of their handcrafted beverages to local outlets.

Two partners in the venture, George Esquivel and Steve Porcari, have been hobby-brewing beer to increasing acclaim for six years or so. They were introduced to Greg Leftwich of a neighborhood brewing club.

The team has been brewing of late in an Oak Cliff garage. But now, with investors’ support and the security of their day jobs, they are preparing for a plunge — into the future of West Dallas.

“We want to be part of the action,” said Esquivel, who envisions a future rich in art, entertainment and restaurants in the now relatively raw Singleton corridor. “We’re after a movement here. I see ourselves as an anchor.”

But seriously, now …

“If you want an ulterior motive,” he said, “we want free beer.”

Esquivel said the group has hired its first employee, award-winning brewmaster John Sims, but hasn’t settled on the styles of its initial offerings. “We want to brew beer suitable for the consumer here and the climate,” Esquivel said.

Local beer consumers are increasingly embracing a diversity of craft beers from Texas and beyond. And the warm climate has been known to call for a crisp, refreshing pint or two.

In time, the company hopes to offer package beer through retailers, as does, for example, Rahr & Sons Brewing Co. in Fort Worth.

And it plans to employ 10 people in its first year, as many as possible from surrounding neighborhoods, said Esquivel, who grew up in West Dallas.

“It would be great if we could,” he said. “We want to help the community grow.”

Four Corners would become the third microbrewery in Dallas. Deep Ellum Brewing Co. launched last year and has a couple of dozen local outlets for its beers. Peticolas Brewing Co. began operating last year as well in the Design District.
Maybe the purpose of your life is to serve as a warning to others.
BrotherhoodBrew

Re: Another local brewery plans to open

Post by BrotherhoodBrew »

I am just wondering does anyone know these guys? I am terrible with names at brewclub functions and wonder if I have met them before.
Damon Lewis
Cedar Creek Brewery
http://www.facebook.com/CedarCreekBrewery
BigWally

Post by BigWally »

I was wondering the same thing. Their names are not familiar to me.
Maybe the purpose of your life is to serve as a warning to others.
JGraham

Post by JGraham »

I met Steve last year at Brew Riot in Oak Cliff, and he seemed like a nice guy (and he was willing to exchange recipes). Also met John Sims at GABF in September 2011 and talked for a long time about local brewing in Dallas and generally about how to start a brewery -- he's a real stand-up guy.