Three tier or three vessel brewing

This is a place where people can ask questions about brewing. Hopefully, someone who is more knowledgable about brewing will respond.

Moderator: Jimmy Orkin

bpillmore

Three tier or three vessel brewing

Post by bpillmore »

Just jumping into all-grain brewing (before my first partial extract is done fermenting). I picked up a couple keggles, a plastic cooler based lauter tun and a few fermentation vessels. In a 3-tier setup, I have seen two different approaches, (1) a keggle HLT, plastic cooler lauter tun and a final keggle to boil in or (2) three keggles including a keggle used as a lauter tun.

What are the advantage and limitations of each method/setup? I am assuming the ability to add heat to the lauter tun but I am unsure of other unforeseen process limitations.

Sorry if I got some terminology incorrect. Forgive the newbie question. My reason for asking is determining if I need another keggle to use as a lauter tun or if I should stick with the plastic cooler.
Bill Lawrence

Re: Three tier or three vessel brewing

Post by Bill Lawrence »

Well, I do my thing with two converted kegs and one 10 gallon Gott cooler mash tun. The advantages are that of course it's insulated so it retains heat better, it's cheaper than a coverted keg and because it's not made of stainless steel, it's easier to build. On the down side, if you make really big beers or do 10 gallon batches, you may have capacity issues. As you noted, you can not directly heat the mash using that set up but you can get around this by setting up a RIMS, HERMS or doing decoctions. Also, generally speaking, a more shallow grain bed will allow for better extraction efficency (however getting really good efficiency is highly over rated). So, if you anticipate doing either really big beers, 10 gallon batches or step infusion mashing where it is more convient to apply direct heat, you might want to go with the converted keg mashtun. For me however, the Gott cooler mashtun works great. I never do 10 gallon batches because I am interested in variety rather than volume. Also, most of the beer I brew is no higher than about 1.055 O.G. so I usually don't have issues with the capacity constraint. By the way, some of the best homebrewers use very simply set-ups, you don't need all that fancy crap to make really good beer. Most of the fancy gear I have was purchased because I am essentially lazy, it really has nothing to do with the way the beer comes out. By the way, I do a significant amount of step mashing, decoction mashing and even sometimes do ceral mashing with my set up.
Remember, brewers make wort, only yeast make beer
bpillmore

Post by bpillmore »

Do you use the Academy fry cart for your setup? Maybe I am recalling incorrectly from a prior post. Is that a 2-tier system? Any pumps involved?

I am probably going to brew my first all-grain sometime in the next month... maybe on February 18 at the brewday (I may not be able to do it on Feb 18 since I have a commitment in the afternoon). I would appreciate any advice anyone can provide. I am thinking of a light ale for my first all grain.
Bill Lawrence

Post by Bill Lawrence »

Yup, I'm using an Academy fry cart which I have converted to a two tier system, and yeah, I use a pump. You can do an all gravity system but you will need to make it 3 tier to do that. I find the pump very useful. I use it to move hot water into the mash tun as well as recirculating the mash. Again, you don't need a pump but it does make life much easier (and it saves your back, useful if you are "more mature" like myself).

As far as a first all grain recipe on a "virgin" system, an English or American pale is is a very good choice. What you really want to do with your first batch is to "calibrate" your system so to speak. You want to get an idea about your efficiency and also how much evaporation you are going to get when you do the boil. That way, you'll be able to hit your numbers on subsequent batches. Have fun and good luck.
BigWally

Post by BigWally »

Bill Lawrence wrote:...By the way, some of the best homebrewers use very simply set-ups, you don't need all that fancy crap to make really good beer...
You calling me out? :mrgreen:

I'm hosting the February brewday. Hopefully, we'll have a couple of systems running so you can see what folks are doing.

I don't have boobs, at least the kind that anyone wants to see, so Bill won't bring his setup over to my house.
Maybe the purpose of your life is to serve as a warning to others.
Bill Lawrence

Post by Bill Lawrence »

Oh, don't sell yourself short there Walter. Yeah, they ain't big but if I had to describe them, I would say they are "perky". I must admit however, all that hair on them is somewhat off putting. :shock:
kingsbrew

Post by kingsbrew »

bpillmore, I would not suggest trying to do your first all grain at a brew day. There are too many distractions, i.e. people asking "why are you doing that?" or "if it was me I would....", etc., etc. Not to mention those wanting to poor you a beer. If you want some help with your first all grain session it would be better to try to get paired up with one or two other brewers for a more private session where you can concentrate on what you are doing.
I am not trying to discourage you, just some words of advice. Brewing all-grain is not that hard, it's just best to be able to concentrate until you have done a couple. Attending a brew day and watching what others do is a great way to learn. But then the best way to learn is to just jump into it. Good luck.
Leroy
bpillmore

Post by bpillmore »

Great feedback, Leroy. Is anyone available to help me with an all grain brew in the next month or two? I am getting my setup squared away and will be ready to try it on a weekend sometime.