Fermenting / Serving from Sanke beer kegs

Discussions about beer, life, that sort of thing

Moderator: Jimmy Orkin

MixnMatchBrew

Fermenting / Serving from Sanke beer kegs

Post by MixnMatchBrew »

WARNING. OPENING A SANKE KEG WITHOUT VENTING IT CAN KILL YOU
Grab a screwdriver, vent the keg and keep brewing. Just lean the keg to the side unless you want a beer shower.

Review this video to see how to remove a US D type sanke spear safely

http://youtu.be/npUA8DvngVw

To replace the spear and install the spiral ring follow these instructions:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/install ... keg-64128/

I've had this conversation a few times with people so I thought I would document the process.
I'm not the first person to do this. Several people ferment and serve from corney and sanke style kegs.
The 1/6 and 1/4 slim barrel kegs are expensive and the only reason to do this is if you can get a good deal on them.
For most people the corney style of keg is a better choice. I have gone this route for reasons of my own and thought it might interest people and be of some use.

The biggest issue with using sanke style kegs is cleaning them. You must remove the diptube spear and clean it and the inner wall.
Once you have removed the ring you can clean the inside as follows:

I've used the following device in the past to clean corney kegs. I've modified it to use a camlock disconnect for dual use as a recirculation device for ice water during brew days.
1/6 barrel sanke keg. Sump / utility pump from harbor freight. It has a 1" thread and comes with some plastic hose connectors.
I used an old 6 gallon fermenting bucket, cut a hole in the lid to center the 1/6 barrel sanke keg.

Closeup of camlock connection

Drilled out swivel from a shower head! I had to solder shut some of the holes to fine tune it.

Works with 1/2 barrel sanke kegs as well

To physically scrub the inside of the keg you could use a keg cleaner
Bargainfittings.com

Past President, NTHBA (2011)
[email protected]
MixnMatchBrew

Re: Fermenting / Serving from Sanke beer kegs

Post by MixnMatchBrew »

Was going to order a sanke tool but they are out of stock and on back order so.......

I made an ugly version. Tested and works.
Bargainfittings.com

[email protected]
MixnMatchBrew

Post by MixnMatchBrew »

Modified the inlet / outlet on a sankey tap to have full flow. NPT 3/8 x 1/2" Hex nipple soldered into the chromed brass caps.
A 3/8" NPT o-ring sealed fine on one but I'll need a flat gasket on the other side as I had a small drip.

Pull the check valve and internal ball etc out of the tap and attached hose and valve, quick disconnects.

Flow is very good through the keg. Pump into the outlet and drain out the inlet.

Bargainfittings.com

[email protected]
MixnMatchBrew

Post by MixnMatchBrew »

Managed to find a block of time to drill and solder in a fitting.

Note: USE COBALT BITS. 1/4" thick blanks will eat up all other bits. Don't cheap out and use cobalt coated either.

This is my test fitting. I just cut the thread off a brass compression adapter and drilled out the stop.
Roughed up both brass and the stainless steel blank surface around the hole and butt soldered the fitting.

I will test it for leaks.
I will be using o-rings to seal against the pickup tube.

Bargainfittings.com

[email protected]
TheMacheteMasher

Post by TheMacheteMasher »

Nice work on the fitting. I would like to see the fermentation system in action. I suppose this will ferment 10 gallons with proper headspace so no blowoff is needed.
Slicing up the mash -since 2011