Can someone critique my beer and process?

Discussions about beer, life, that sort of thing

Moderator: Jimmy Orkin

Llama

Can someone critique my beer and process?

Post by Llama »

I've been brewing all-grain off/on for well over a decade. Recently I jumped back into the hobby and built a new setup. Since then I've turned out (4)beers with a fifth in the fermenter. It would be very helpful to have an experienced brewer and taster to give me some honest feedback. Each of the beers have both redeeming and detracting qualities but I have a difficult time mapping the results back to the process. I can guess, but would really like to have a more sage opinion. I believe I've already crossed most of the initial hurdles to making good beer (pitching rates, temp controlled fermentation, oxygenation, water filtration, etc) so what I'm really in need of is deeper advice on topics like water profiles, Ph, over sparging, fermentation schedules, etc.

The (4) beers which are available for tasting are:

1) Simple APA using a single hop strain
2) Milk Stout
3) Helles
4) Kolsch
5) IPA still in the fermenter

I realize a good option would be competitions but I feel I'm just not ready for that yet. So there it is; your experience and opinions = free (pretty good) beer. Please let em know if you can help.

Forgot to mention that I am in zipcode 75065, just north of the Lewisville Lake bridge off I-35.

Cheers
BigWally

Re: Can someone critique my beer and process?

Post by BigWally »

Bring them to the brewday on 1/21. There will be several experienced folks to give you feedback on your beer. You can also see other all-grain brewers and their techniques.
Maybe the purpose of your life is to serve as a warning to others.
BrotherhoodBrew

Re: Can someone critique my beer and process?

Post by BrotherhoodBrew »

BigWally wrote:Bring them to the brewday on 1/21. There will be several experienced folks to give you feedback on your beer. You can also see other all-grain brewers and their techniques.
This is the best thing to do. You will have a lot more responses and feedback this way. Just make sure you let people know what you want in your feedback so they don't just tell you it's good and move on.
Damon Lewis
Cedar Creek Brewery
http://www.facebook.com/CedarCreekBrewery