Brewing Partner Novice Needed for December's Brewday

Discussions about beer, life, that sort of thing

Moderator: Jimmy Orkin

TheMacheteMasher

Brewing Partner Novice Needed for December's Brewday

Post by TheMacheteMasher »

Anyone brewing this Sunday? The weather forecast is partly sunny.

I am looking for someone to split/brew with. I can bring my rig and split a 10 gallon batch. Lets make it happen! PM me!

New comers are welcome. I am thinking of going a Saison ~OG 1.060 to commemorate my first brew. We could mash as one and boil/hop seperate if needed.

Speak up now (before 1 pm on Saturday) otherwise I'll do a 5 gallon batch.

My first brew a partial mashed saison was a success. Groovyslick & Grandmaster Mash helped me (did all the work) on Christmas Eve last year. I took the wort home and fermented.

You will need your own carboy/bucket and yeast (two). During this season the sasion yeast should ferment with out concern inside (room temperature 65-72) for our region.
Slicing up the mash -since 2011
TheMacheteMasher

Re: Brewing Partner Novice Needed for December's Brewday

Picked up the grains and hops today for a 10 gallon batch. I realize it's short notice and so the offer is still open! We can collaborate at the brewday.

I will begin setup around 10am tomorrow. Striking (when the grain is added to brewing water) ~11am.

The Saison will target OG 1060 mashing as an all grain batch. If you've not done an All Grain brew this would be an awesome time to learn.

Greetings see you then.

RobDrechsler

Post by RobDrechsler »

he wasn't kidding with that forum handle...
Beer contains just a small amount of vitamins - that's why it's necessary to drink lot of it
TheMacheteMasher

Kim thanks for hosting the December brewday!

Let’s focus on the positives like amazing weather and a gracious brewday. Kim thanks for sticking around while we wrapped up the cooling and cleanup.

Despite a stuck mash the collected wort remained consistent with my brew house efficiency. The preboil volume was low after transferring grist to another mash tun. I forged ahead having enough sugar for fermentation. Boiling and cooling the batch yielded 8 gallons of condensed wort at 15 Plato or 1.062 specific gravity.

As promised Brett our all grain brewing newbie walked away with free beer.

The Belgian Specialty brewed may also be fermented as a Maibock. I am waiting to see what Brett comes up with post fermentation. I pitched a starter of bottle dregs which shall produce ale with complex aging character. The batch is bubbling along expect some samples in the coming months.

I am hoping to brew with our many brewers in the coming year. PM me if you need a brewpal! My rig is completely portable and I get a kick out of the challenges.

Rob, long live the machete mash paddle.

Last edited by TheMacheteMasher on Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
RobDrechsler

Post by RobDrechsler »

I like your blow off tube contraption...
Beer contains just a small amount of vitamins - that's why it's necessary to drink lot of it