Entering Competitions

Questions and discussions about competitions

Moderator: Jimmy Orkin

RyanWeary

Entering Competitions

Post by RyanWeary »

So - I've been telling myself every year I'm going to enter some competitions this year. I said that two years ago....I said that last year.....and the only thing I've ever done is the Oak Cliff "Brew Riot". It was a lot of fun, don't get me wrong, but I want to enter real competitions.

I'm curious what the standard operating procedure is for entering a "Club Only" competition and a regional competition such as the Bluebonnet. Also, how do other members enter these competitions? The way I brew I usually just keg and drink.....if it's really good I was thinking of bottling a 6-pack for competition for whenever that style might come around in competition. Is that something anyone else does too? Or do people brew specifically around the competition schedule? I'm really kind of in the dark here.

FYI - I'm going to head out to the brew day this Sunday with a friend of mine who is interested in entering competitions with me as a "team". Is that a common practice as well?

Thanks for all the info guys, and hopefully I'll run in to a few of you Saturday.

-Ryan
“I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.” ~ Frank Sinatra
BigWally

Re: Entering Competitions

Post by BigWally »

I think you will find folks who brew specifically for competion and others who will enter what they have on hand. I tend to enter what I have on hand and what I think will do well in competition. I'll bottle my competition entries from the keg using a counter-pressure filler, some guys are lower tech and use a piece of tubing stuck on the end of a party tap to fill the bottles.

The COC only requires one bottle and is a cheap way to get some written feedback on your beer. The regional competitions require three bottles and generally cost around $7 per entry. The club picks up the cost of shipping beers to the Texas competitions through the packing parties.

It really just comes down to how much you want to tie your brewing to the competition schedule.
Maybe the purpose of your life is to serve as a warning to others.
RyanWeary

Post by RyanWeary »

Cool, thanks for the info. I've got an amazing porter on tap right now I think I'll bottle for competition. Is the three bottle rule the same for the Bluebonnet? I've heard great things about that competition and I would really like to attend this year.

Thanks again.

-Ryan
“I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.” ~ Frank Sinatra
ejonsson

Post by ejonsson »

Ryan,

It's great to see enthusiasm for the competitions. We will need a lot of that in the coming year if we are going to compete with the other heavy hitters in the Lone Star Circuit, like the Austin Zealots and Foam Rangers.

Yes, 3 bottles is the rule for the Bluebonnet, but the New Entrant category requires only 2 bottles. The third bottle is used for Best of Show judging, for the entries that make it that far, but New Entrants are not included in that phase of judging. One bottle is all that is needed for the Club COC. Two additional bottles are needed, if it wins the Club COC and is sent to the National COC. I'll post more detailed info in another thread.

There will be plenty of competitions for you to participate in next year. The Bluebonnet kicks of the Lone Star Circuit, in March, which includes 8 competitions. There will be 3 more LSC competitions by the end of May.

Yes, it is common practice for brewers to enter as a team.
Einar Jonsson
BigWally

Post by BigWally »

As Einar pointed out, if you have not entered a competition before, then be sure to enter your porter in the new entrants category. Also, enter it in the regular category, though together that will cost you 5 beers (a high price). If it is really good, then you can take home two awards :). Just keep in mind, the Bluebonnet is a really big competition with lots of great beer entered. I am pleased when my beers make it to the second round and pee myself when I win.
Maybe the purpose of your life is to serve as a warning to others.
RyanWeary

Post by RyanWeary »

I'll bring some to brew day on Sunday and let you guys tell me what you think of this mighty fine porter.
RyanWeary

Post by RyanWeary »

Sorry I didn't make it - SWMBO had other plans for me I was told.....