Who's Brewing Weekend of the 4th?

Discussions about beer, life, that sort of thing

Moderator: Jimmy Orkin

JBL

Who's Brewing Weekend of the 4th?

Post by JBL »

I'm brewing a Bo Pils on Tuesday. It will be my first brew using my new counterflow chiller setup - two chillers in series, tap water running through the first one and ice water recirculating through the second. Should work great....in theory. We'll see.
Mike Grover

Post by Mike Grover »

I'm brewing an American wheat - also on Tuesday.
Dragon Slayer

Post by Dragon Slayer »

I just finished brewing a Scotch Ale. (O.G. 1.076). I fired the kettles at noon and pitched a 500ml starter of yeast at 8:00pm.
Mike Grover

Post by Mike Grover »

As I type I am mashing an American hefe. This is the first step mash I've done - 30 min at 100F, 30 min at 122F, 60 min at 150F. Everything was spot on except that I only brought it up to just under 140F for the sac rest. I added another 1/2 gallon of near-boiling water, but that didn't help much. Not wanting to dilute the crap out of the mash, I drew off 2 gallons and heated it to 170F in my kettle, then returned it to the mash. It's sitting at exactly 150F now, so I'm happy.

Mike
JBL

Post by JBL »

Dang. Due to unforseen difficulities with the new chiller equipment, I've postponed brewing for a few more days. I had to work out a few issues with hose length and slope to ensure that the pumps get primed when I open the valves. Once flow started, it works great. I also got everything cleaned out with hot PBW. There was a fair amount of black particles coming out of the new chillers.

I think I need a big drip pan, too. Cleanup and disassembly is going to be messy.
Mike Grover

Post by Mike Grover »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by JBL</i>
<br />I had to work out a few issues with hose length
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Just repeat to yourself..."Size doesn't matter." [;)]