dry hopping

This is a place where people can ask questions about brewing. Hopefully, someone who is more knowledgable about brewing will respond.

Moderator: Jimmy Orkin

RobDrechsler

dry hopping

Post by RobDrechsler »

ok, when dry hopping into a fermenter what do you do for sanitation...

ok, throw hop bag , couple marbles into star san... but what about the hops? I know hops are a natural type sanitizer, but whole hops? couldn't some little bugger be growing in there... bored minds want to know..
Beer contains just a small amount of vitamins - that's why it's necessary to drink lot of it
Jimmy Orkin

Re: dry hopping

Post by Jimmy Orkin »

I dry hop in a keg.

After fermentation is complete, I push the beer from the carboy to a corny that has the beverage dip tube cut off about 1.5 inches from the bottom.

I sanitize the keg, put the hops in the bottom of the keg, put on the lid and purge with CO2.

I then push the beer from my carboy to the keg via the beverage out connection. Open the pressure relief to let the CO2 out.

I then keep my keg at about 65 - 75F for a week. I shake up the keg every morning and night.

I let the keg settle for a day or two and then jumper it to my carbonating/serving keg. When jumpering, remove the guts (valve, spring) from the connectors and poppets from the posts to keep the hops from clogging them up.

I don't worry about bugs in the hops. I have only used pellets for dry hopping.
Jimmy Orkin
NTHBA Competitions Coordinator 2022
NTHBA Data Guy 2022
RobDrechsler

Post by RobDrechsler »

so sanitize bag of pellet hops, cut open and drop into sanitized hop bag, and then into the fermenter same with whole hops.. sorry jimmy not up to kegs yet..
Beer contains just a small amount of vitamins - that's why it's necessary to drink lot of it
Jimmy Orkin

Post by Jimmy Orkin »

I think that is the procedure. Sanitize everything you can. Don't worry about the hops.

Also, I use iodophor for all post fermentation sanitation. I tasted the starsan bubbles and did not like them. I think iodophor drops almost all of the liquid out.
Jimmy Orkin
NTHBA Competitions Coordinator 2022
NTHBA Data Guy 2022
BrotherhoodBrew

Post by BrotherhoodBrew »

No reason to sanitize the hops. I've never met a pro that does that on any scale. The equipment that you use to hold the hops sure but after that don't worry.
Damon Lewis
Cedar Creek Brewery
http://www.facebook.com/CedarCreekBrewery